Sikkim becomes India’s first fully organic state
- Sikkim has formally become India’s first fully organic state after it successfully implemented organic farming practices on around 75,000 hectares of agricultural land.
UNWTO released World Tourism Barometer
- The World Tourism Organization (UNWTO) on 18 January 2016 released the World Tourism Barometer, which reviewed trends in tourism at the regional and global level for 2015 and enumerated prospects for 2016.
World Bank to for reconstructing Indira Gandhi Zoological Park
- In a global first, the World Bank in third week of January 2016 decided to extend an assistance of 20 million US dollar to help reconstruct the Indira Gandhi Zoological Park (IGZP).
SBI offers loans for women entrepreneurs under MUDRA scheme
- The ‘MUDRA' loan for women entrepreneurs or Boutique Finance for Women Entrepreneurs – a special loan scheme under Prime Minister MUDRA Yojana – has been launched for catering to the financial needs of women entrepreneurs.
Jayalalithaa launches Amma Call Centre
- Tamil Nadu Chief Minister J Jayalalithaa today launched a round-the-clock call centre for ensuring fast response to grievances. The ‘Amma Call Centre’, which will work all through the year, was launched by the Chief Minister here through video-conferencing.
ICC launches Cricket for Good & Team Swachh campaign in partnership with UNICEF and BCCI
- The International Cricket Council (ICC) has reaffirmed its commitment to the Spirit of Cricket and bringing about positive social change through the sport, by launching Cricket for Good, it’s CSR Programmer, in association with UNICEF.
Filmmaker Anil Ganguly passed away
- Filmmaker Anil Ganguly passed away today at his residence here after a brief illness. Ganguly is a noted director and screenwriter, who worked in Hindi cinema from 1970s to the 90s.
Ministry of Shipping initiates Project Green Port
- Weighing in the environmental perspective for sustained growth, the Ministry of Shipping has started ‘Project Green Ports’.
- ‘Project Green Ports’ will have two verticals - one is ‘Green Ports Initiatives’ related to environmental issues and second is ‘Swachh Bharat Abhiyaan’.
India slips to 89th rank in global talent competitiveness
- India has slipped 11 places to rank 89th on a global index of talent competitiveness, a list which has been topped by Switzerland.
India has 2.36 lakh millionaires: report
- India is home to the fourth largest population of millionaires in the Asia-Pacific region, with 2.36 lakh such high net worth individuals, while Japan topped the list with 12.60 lakh people, a report says.
PM Modi Second most popular world leader on FB
- According to a study by PR firm Burson-Marsteller, PM Narendra Modi has over 31 million fans on his personal Narendra Modi page.
The Eagles' guitarist Glenn Frey passed away
- Glenn Frey, a founding member and guitarist of the Eagles, one of the most popular and commercially successful artists of the 1970s, passed away on 18 January 2016 in New York, the USA.
World’s oldest man dies at 112 in Japan
- The world’s oldest man, Yasutaro Koide, died today at the age of 112 in central Japan, a local official said. Koide, born just months before the Wright brothers made their first successful flight, died in hospital in the central Japanese city of Nagoya.
HaloSource appoints Tamal Chaudhuri as India head
- HaloSource Inc., a clean water technology solutions company trading on London’s Alternative Investment Market, has appointed Tamal Chaudhuri as General Manager, heading up the company’s India operations.