MoU between India & UK on Cooperation in Governance Reforms approved by Union Cabinet
- The Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) between India and United Kingdom on cooperation in governance reforms is approved by the Union Cabinet on 20 January 2016. The MoU was signed in November 2015.
PSLV-C31 successfully launched IRNSS-1E satellite
The Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO) on 20 January 2016 successfully launched the
Indian Regional Navigational Satellite System (IRNSS) 1-E satellite.
- The satellite will provide navigation, tracking and mapping services to the Indian sub continent. The satellite is the fifth of the IRNSS constellation.
- It was launched from the Satish Dhawan Space Centre (SHAR), Sriharikota in Andhra Pradesh on-board the PSLV-C31.
- The Polar Satellite Launch Vehicle (PSLV)-C31 was the 32nd consecutively successful mission of the PSLV. The 'XL' configuration of PSLV was used for this mission.
Govt Announces National Award For The Most 'Film-Friendly' State In India
- Sunil Arora, secretary of information and broadcasting said that the award will be conferred for the first time at the 63rd National Film Awards to be in Delhi on 3 May 2016. The statement was issued by the Press Information Bureau on their official website.
- Film Facilitation Office was to be set up at the National Film Development Corporation of India (NFDC) under the supervision of the Ministry of I&B.
Veteran journalist Aroon Tikekar passed away
- Senior journalist and scholar Aroon Tikekar passed away on 19 January 2016 in Mumbai. He was 72. Tikekar, who has written over 20 books, passed away due to breathing-related complications.
Union Government sanctioned 33000 crore rupees for infrastructure projects in Tamilnadu
- Union Road Transport, Highways and Shipping Minister Nitin Gadkari announced the sanctioned amount and at his discretion, he announced additional 17000 crore rupees. With this, the total amount sanctioned was raised to 50000 crore rupees.
Light combat aircraft, Tejas to fly at Bahrain Air Show
Country’s own fighter aircraft light combat aircraft (LCA), Tejas, will take part in the three-day Bahrain International Airshow starting from Thursday (January 21 to 23).
- “Two limited series production (LSP) aircraft will take part in the Bahrain International Air Show to enthral the visitors from various countries during the flying display through a series of aerobatic manoeuvres such as 8-g pull, vertical loop, slow fly past, barrel roll”, said T Suvarna Raju, CMD, HAL.
- Tejas is a single engine, light weight, highly agile, multi-role supersonic fighter. The Tejas light combat aircraft is a 4.5 generation aircraft with supersonic capability at all altitudes. It has the fly by wire, state of the art open architecture computer for avionics and better weapon and combat capability. With the advanced avionics, the pilot load is also reduced.
Cabinet approves new power tariff policy
- The Union Cabinet today approved a new power tariff policy which will promote clean energy, support the Swachh Bharat programme, better regulation for discoms, and encourage faster roll-out of investments in the sector.
- Under the policy, the power plants will have to use processed municipal waste water available in their vicinity (in 100 km radius). The proposed policy will bring in several unique aspects which have not been touched in the past. It will allow distribution companies to buy any amount of power produced from the waste.
Mamta Binani elected President of ICSI
- Mamta Binani has been elected President of the Institute of Company Secretaries of India (ICSI) for 2016. She took charge on January 19.
- Binani was also the first CS to be conferred the 'Bharat Nirman Awards' in 2010.
Housing.com appoints co-founder Snehil Buxy as its chief product officer
- Housing.com, an online real estate platform has appointed co-founder Snehil Buxy as its new chief product officer.
- Since the company's inception, he has played key roles, including leading the front-end team and spearheading product development, while also overseeing and driving different aspects of the business.
ICICI Bank opens its first branch in South Africa
ICICI Bank inaugurated its first full service branch at Sandton in Johannesburg becoming the first Indian private sector bank to open a branch in the African continent.
- The branch was inaugurated by President of ICICI Bank, Vijay Chandok.
- ICICI Bank’s Johannesburg branch is an authorised financial services provider in South Africa licensed by the South African Reserve Bank, the bank said in a statement.
India among top 5 most promising markets globally
- According to the annual Global CEO survey of consultancy giant PwC, India has emerged as one of the five most promising markets for businesses globally as it offers one of the best opportunities for both domestic as well as global companies.
- The top five markets considered as most important for overall growth prospects by the respondents are USA, China, Germany, the UK and India.
MRF becomes global partner for ICC
- As a global partner, MRF will have multiple branding opportunities at all match venues during the ICC World Twenty 20 and future ICC events.
- Other global partners for ICC include Emirates, Oppo and Nissan, he told newspersons on the announcement of the partnership.
J P Alex takes over as Airports Authority of India executive director
- The Airports Authority of India (AAI) today said J P Alex has taken over as executive director of operations.
Smart Prep Kit by Ramandeep Singh - Get here