Pusarla Venkata Sindhu won the 2016 Malaysia Masters Grand Prix Gold Badminton title
- In the final match played at Penang she defeated Scotland’s Kirsty Gilmour (World No.20) by 21-15, 21-9 score.
- This was Sindhu’s second title in Malaysia Masters Grand Prix which and earlier she had won in 2013.
- It was overall fifth career Grand prix gold title and first title of the season 2016.
Union Cabinet clears President’s rule in Arunachal Pradesh
- Proposal in this regard has been forwarded to President Pranab Mukherjee after Union Government felt that Congress ruled state is heading for a constitutional breakdown.
Tabla maestro Pandit Shankar Ghosh passes away
- Eminent tabla player Pandit Shankar Ghosh passed away in Kolkata, West Bengal following a prolonged illness. He was 80.
TranServ launches India’s first social mobile wallet Udio
- India’s digital payment startup company TranServ has launched country’s first Social Mobile Wallet named Udio.
First Ministerial Meeting of Arab-India Cooperation Forum held Manama
- The first Ministerial Meeting of Arab-India Cooperation Forum was held Manama, capital city of Bahrain.
- The meeting was inaugurated by Bahrain’s Foreign Minister Khalid bin Ahmed Al Khalifa and was attended by representatives of 22 Arab League nations.
ONGC gets environmental clearance for project in Krishna-Godavari basin
- State owned Oil and Natural Gas Corporation Limited (ONGC) has received environmental clearance for a project in the Krishna-Godavari (KG) basin in Andhra Pradesh.
Jan Dhan accounts deposits cross Rs. 30,000 cr.
- Deposits in accounts opened under the government’s flagship financial inclusion programme Pradhan Mantri Jan Dhan Yojana (PMJDY) have crossed the Rs. 30,000 crore mark.
PM declassifies 100 files relating to Netaji
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi today made public digital copies of 100 secret files relating to Subhas Chandra Bose on his 119th birth anniversary, which could throw some light on the controversy over his death.
Former Deputy Speaker of Gujarat Assembly Nirmala Gajwani died
- Former Deputy Speaker of Gujarat Assembly and Social Activist Nirmala Gajwani passed away on 21 January 2016 in Rajkot, Gujarat. She was 87.
- Gajwani was the first lady Deputy Speaker of Gujarat legislative Assembly.
BEPS guidelines of OECD to be implemented in India from 1 April 2016
- The term BEPS is an acronym of Base Erosion and Profit Shifting and it was in news in the third week of January 2016 as India decided to implement these guidelines.
Tunisia imposes curfew as unrest grows over lack of jobs
- Tunisia has imposed a nationwide overnight curfew after protests and violence against rising unemployment spread across the country.
Govt. mobilises 900 kg of gold under monetisation scheme
- The government on Saturday said it had netted a hefty 900 kg of idle household and temple gold under the monetisation scheme and is hopeful that the number would rise further in future.
Paranjoy Thakurta appointed EPW Editor
- The Sameeksha Trust, which runs the Economic and Political Weekly has appointed senior journalist Paranjoy Guha Thakurta editor of the journal from April 1. This follows the resignation of Rammanohar Reddy from the post early this month.
Australia clinched bilateral ODI cricket series against India
- Australia has thrashed India by 4-1 in 5 match one day international series played in Australia.
- Indian batsman Rohit Sharma was declared man of the series for scoring 441 runs including two centuries.
Download GK Digest Android App for Current Affairs here