Uttar Pradesh joins UDAY scheme
- Uttar Pradesh became the fourth state to join the Centre’s scheme to revive state electricity distribution utilities on Saturday.
- The four states – Jharkhand, Chhattisgarh, Rajasthan and Uttar Pradesh - which have signed MoUs for joining UDAY.
==>> Download GK Digest Android App here
Cabinet of Somalia agreed on Election Model outlined by Mogadishu Declaration 2015
- Cabinet of Somalia on 28 January 2016 agreed on Election Model outlined by the Mogadishu Declaration. The declaration, which was adopted in December 2015, calls for the electoral process in Somalia to establish a new, bicameral Federal Parliament in 2016, based on inclusivity and representation.
- It also requires that a minimum of 30 percent of seats be reserved for women.
Puducherry Lt Governor AK Singh launched MITRA app for women safety
- Lt Governor of Puducherry AK Singh on 28 January 2016 launched the MITRA mobile application to ensure safety and security of women in the Union Territory.
- The Android based application can send emergency SOS messages when in danger or emergency.
Karnataka Vikas Grameen Bank sets up cell to monitor govt schemes
- The Dharwad-headquartered Karnataka VikasGrameen Bank (KVGB) has set up a separate cell for monitoring progress under all the government-sponsored schemes, according to Ashok Reddy, Chairman of the bank.
- According to a press release from the bank here on Saturday, Reddy received the ‘runner-up’ award of the ‘ASSOCHAM Social Banking Excellence Award 2015’ under the ‘regional rural banks’ category in Mumbai on Friday. The Minister of State for Finance, JayantSinha, gave away the award to Reddy.
Goa launches project tracking portal
- Goa Chief Minister LaxmikantParsekar today launched Goa e-Suvidha Portal, an online project tracking mechanism to fast track projects.
- It aims at resolving a variety of issues in setting up infrastructure and other large projects , both in the public and private sectors, with targeted investment between Rs.50 crore and Rs.1,000 crore.
Prince Mahidol Award 2015 conferred in Bangkok
- Prince Mahidol Award 2015 was conferred upon Professor Morton Mower and Sir Michael Marmot for outstanding achievements in medicine and public health worldwide.
- The award was presented on 29 January 2016 at the Grand Palace in Bangkok by the Princess Maha Chakri Sirindhorn on behalf of the King of Thailand Bhumibol Adulyadej, who couldn’t attend the ceremony due to ill health.
JS Deepak replaces Garg as Telecom Secretary
- Amid the Net neutrality controversy, Telecom Secretary Rakesh Garg on Friday was moved to the low-profile Minority Affairs Ministry.
- JS Deepak, a UP cadre officer from the 1982 batch, who is currently Secretary, Department of IT (DeitY), will replace Garg.
Former Army Chief Gen K V Krishna Rao passes away
- Former Army Chief General K V Krishna Rao, who played a key role in the 1971 Bangladesh Liberation War, died yesterday at the military hospital following a cardiac arrest. He was 92.
- Rao also served as the Governor of Jammu and Kashmir at a time when militancy was at its peak in the state.
Angelique Kerber wins Australian Open
- Angelique Kerber became the first German to win a Grand Slam title after Steffi Graf in 1999 after beating world number one Serena Williams 6-4 3-6 6-4 to clinch the Australian Open on Saturday.
SBI PO Smart Prep Kit by Ramandeep Singh - Get here