Neem extract may help treat Pancreatic Cancer
- A new study has claimed that a natural extract derived from the neem tree can potentially be used to treat pancreatic cancer without harming normal, healthy cells.
13 February: World Radio Day
- World Radio Day (WRD) is observed globally on 13th February to remember the unique power of radio that touches lives and bring people together across every corner of the globe.
Book titled A Kingdom for his Love launched by Amar Chitra Katha
- Amar Chitra Katha has launched its first romance title “A Kingdom For His Love” the fiction co-authored by Vani Mahesh and Shinie Antony is a retelling of a Sanskrit play ‘Swapnavasavadattam’, by one of the earliest and most celebrated playwrights Bhasa.
Download GK Digest Android App to read current affairs here
Soviet football legend Anatoli Ilyin passed away
- Soviet football legend Anatoly Ilyin died at the age of 84. Striker Ilyin was capped 31 times by the then Soviet Russia between 1952-59 and scored 16 goals.
Pulitzer winning composer Leslie Bassett passes away
- Leslie Bassett, a Pulitzer Prize-winning composer known for his lush sonorities and ecumenical instrumentation, died in Georgia.
McCullum plays record 100th consecutive Test
- Brendon McCullum skipper of New Zealand cricket team had played recode 100th consecutive Test before him the record was named to the South African player de Villiers.
Scientists detect gravitational waves for first time
- An international physicists association had detected gravitational waves for the first time in the world. The association includes physicists from many Indian institutions.
Kedaara-partners JV to buy Au housing finance for Rs 950 Crore
- Kedaara the local private equity firm partners with American fund Partners Group JV to buy the Au housing finance for Rs 950 crore.
Ramesh Abhishek named new DIPP secretary
- Former Forwards Markets Commission (FMC) chairman Ramesh Abhishek has been appointed secretary in the department of industrial policy and promotion (DIPP), making him responsible for implementation of “Make in India” and “Start up India”.
Hilton Asian Tour Golfer of the Year award conferred upon Lahiri
- In an online poll, India’s Anirban Lahiri has been voted as the Hilton Asian Tour Golfer of Year. In 2015, the world no. 40 became the first Indian to feature at The Presidents Cup and won the Asian Tour Order of Merit title.
EY Entrepreneur Award conferred upon Lupin CEO & MD
- Vinita Gupta, chief executive officer and Nilesh Gupta, managing director of Lupin have received the award and will represent India at the EY World Entrepreneur of the Year Award in Monte Carlo from June 7.
Coca Cola stops manufacturing in 3 Indian Plants
- Coca-Cola India had stopped manufacturing in three Indian Plants. These three plants are located in Jaipur, Vishakhapatnam and Meghalaya.
India’s gold demand up by 2.5% in 2015: WGC
- India’s demand for gold recovered to increase by 2.5% in 2015 as reported by The World Gold Council (WGC).
Reserve Bank tells banks to set aside more for stressed loans
- Reserve Bank of India (RBI) has directed to set aside more for stressed loans.The central bank had aimed to increase the provisioning by 2.5 per cent every quarter.
Electronics Development Fund (EDF) to be launched in “Financial Capital”
- Department of Electronics & IT (Deity) in a company with Canbank Venture Capital Fundis all set to initiate the Electronics Development Fund (EDF) in Mumbai.
Pakistan launched $500 million projects for Afghanistan
- Pakistan had launched projects worth $500 million in Afghanistan covering different sectors including education, health and infrastructure.
Titanic II will set sail in 2018
- Titanic II replica of the ship hitting an iceberg in 1912, killing 1,503 people, is being built for a whole new journey across the Atlantic.
Elephanta Island to get electricity from Independence Day 2016
- Elephanta Island will soon get completely electrified by Independence Day 2016. Elephanta Island is Famous for its Hindu cave sculptures depicting the cult of Shiva.
Health Ministry initiated “National Framework for Malaria Elimination”
- On the sidelines of India’s proposed action for the elimination of Malaria by 2030, Union Health & Family Welfare Minister J P Nadda has instigated the National Framework for Malaria Elimination (NFME) 2016-2030.