Today we are presenting you the English Mania Session on Error Corrections with details solutions (with shortcut tricks). Hope this session will be helping you to secure 6-8 marks in your upcoming exams very easily. Try to solve it.
Error Correction (with Shortcut Tricks)
Directions (Q.1-10): Read each sentence to find out whether there is any error, if any, will be in one part of the sentence. The number of that part is the answer. If there is no error, the answer is 5. Ignore the errors of punctuation, if any.
1. The merchant counted (a)/ the number of pearls (b)/ to make sure that (c)/ none of them were missing. (d)/ No error (e)
2. When deep sea diving, (a)/ one should always take care (b)/ that oxygen cylinder is (c)/ tied to the back tightly. (d)/ No error (e)
4. The reason behind his success (a)/ in the recent past (b)/ is due to hard-work (c)/ and presence of mind. (d)/ No error (e)
5. No sooner did the students (a)/ seen the principal approach (b)/ than they ran (c)/ from the playground. (d)/ No error (e)
6. It was in this context that (a)/ he suggested that meeting of (b)/ Parliament and State Assembles should held (c)/ at least once in six months. (d)/ No error (e)
7. The reason why he (a)/ was punished was (b)/ because he had (c)/ stolen a watch. (d)/ No error. (e)
8. If Mahatma Gandhi were (a)/ alive, he would feel (b)/ sorry to see the present (c)/ condition of Indian leaders. (d)/ No error (e)
9. Having acquired some knowledge (a)/ she is no longer one of those (b)/ who believes every (c)/ explanation they are given. (d)/ No error (e)
10. Neither of the two friends (a)/ have got their money (b)/ back from (c)/ the insurance company. (d)/ No error (e).
Answers with Shortcut Tricks
1. d; ‘were’ replaced with‘was’.
Rule: The following ‘Indefinite Pronoun’ generally takes Singular Verb i.e. is, was, has, likes etc. The Pronouns are as follows: Anybody, Anyone, Each, None, Many a, No one, etc.
2. a; Replace ‘When deep sea diving,’ with ‘When diving into deep sea’.
3. e; No error.
4. a; Delete ‘The reason dehind’.
5. a; ‘No sooner’ is followed by ‘did’ or ‘had’.
Rule: No sooner did I V1 than S + V2 or No sooner had I V3 than S + V2
Here, ‘seen’ is in V3 form, that’s why No sooner will take ‘had’.
6. c; Replace ‘should held’ with ‘should be held’.
Rule: In Active Voice: Should/ would/ can/ must/ may/ ought to/ have to + V1
Passive Voice: Should/ would/ can/ must/ may/ ought to/ have to + be + V3
7. c; Replace ‘because’ with ‘ that’.
8. e; No error.
9. c; Replace ‘believes’ with ‘believe’.
It sentence follow the PP Rule (Plural Noun/ Pronoun & Plural Verb) , because ‘who’ is followed by ‘one of those’. If ‘who’ is absence there, the sentence should be follow the PS Rule (Plural Noun/Pronoun & Singular Verb)
10. b; Replace ‘have got their’ with ‘has got his/her’.
Rule: The following ‘Indefinite Pronoun’ generally takes Singular Verb i.e. is, was, has, likes etc as well as Singular Subject. The Pronouns are as follows:
Anybody, Anyone, Each, None, Many a, No one, etc.
The possessive Cases of ‘Friend’ is either ‘his’ or ‘her’.
SBI PO Smart Prep Kit by Ramandeep Singh - Get here