Parliament clears Bureau of Indian Standards Bill 2015
- Parliament has passed the Bureau of Indian Standards Bill 2015 with the Rajya Sabha. The Bill was passed by the Lok Sabha in last session.
Download Exclusive PDFsTry GK Digest Android App here
57 countries to take part in first-ever Maritime India Summit 2016
57 countries are going to take part in the first Maritime India Summit 2016 scheduled to be held in April 2016 in Mumbai, Maharashtra.
- It was announced by the Union Shipping Minister Nitin Gadkari on the sidelines of media launch of the Maritime India Summit 2016.
Russia tops ranking for women in senior business roles
Russia once again topped the international ranking of countries with the highest percentage of women in senior business roles, with 45 per cent of senior management positions held by women.
- Economic powerhouses Germany and India also continue to lag, with 15 per cent and 16 per cent of senior management positions filled by women. The US finds itself in the bottom third of nations for women in leadership roles.
IMF to set up data sharing centre in India
- In a first for Asia, the International Monetary Fund (IMF) will set up a knowledge sharing centre in India, to provide technical support and assistance here and to five other South Asian nations. Their team will extend expertise in core macro economic and financial management area
National Anthem compulsory in all schools in WB
- In West Bengal, the State Council of Secondary Education has made singing of National Anthem compulsory in all schools affiliated to the council.
ICICI Bank rolls out iWork@home for women employees
- India’s largest private sector lender ICICI Bank has rolled out iWork@Homeprogramme for its women employees for up to a year.
Made-in-India Baleno launched in Japan
- Suzuki Motor Corporation, the parent company of Maruti Suzuki, has launched the ‘Made in India’ Baleno in Japan today. Maruti intends to export the India-made Baleno to 100 countries in the coming months.
- The premium hatchback that Maruti launched in India last year was first exhibited at the Frankfurt Motor Show in September 2015.
Quikr launches service for doorstep pickup & delivery of pre-owned goods
- Servicing around 25 major cities in India with its doorstep pickup and drop offering, Quikr isn’t monetising the service immediately but has begun testing charging users a commission in certain locations.
- In the long run, the firm plans to monetize the service through either charging a fee for its verification, pickup and drop service.
Tapan Chand elected AAI chief
- Tapan Kumar Chand, CMD, Nalco, has been elected president of Aluminium Association of India (AAI). According to Prof KSS Murthy, General Secretary, AAI, Chand was elected at the governing council meeting.
Karnataka launches MukhyamantriSantwana Harish Yojana
- Karnataka government has launched Mukhyamantri Santwana Harish Yojana to provide free medical treatment to road accident victims for the first 48 hours (2 days) in the nearest government or private hospital.
India, ASEAN Plus military exercise FORCE 18 concluded in Pune
- Exercise FORCE 18, the largest ground forces multinational field training exercise on Humanitarian Mine Action and Peacekeeping Operations concluded on 8 March 2016 in Pune, Maharashtra
India, Bangladesh sign $2 billion deal to implement socio-economic projects
- India and Bangladesh today signed a new 2 billion dollar credit agreement to implement socio-economic projects and to deepen the existing strong bilateral relations between the two neighbouring countries.
Sir George Martin, fifth Beatle, passes away
- He was considered essential to their success, helping them arrange, and produce many of their biggest hits, starting with one of their first: 1962’s “Love Me Do.” British Prime Minister David Cameron tweeted a tribute today, calling Martin “a giant of music.”
World T20: Kolkata to host India-Pakistan clash
- The marquee World Twenty20 clash between arch-rivals India and Pakistan was today shifted to Kolkata from Dharamsala in view of security concerns, putting an end to the uncertainty and suspense over the fate of the high-profile match.
Tata Power inks pact to buy IRRJL wind project
- Tata Power’s arm TPREL has signed a pact with Indo Rama Renewables Ltd (IRRL) to acquire its 100 per cent subsidiary IRRJL, which owns a 30 MW wind farm in Sangli District of Maharashtra.
Smart Prep Kit by Ramandeep Singh - Get here