Railway minister Suresh Prabhu launches "clean my coach" service
- Minister for Railways Suresh Prabhu launched the 'clean my coach' service where a passenger can request for a dirty coach to be swept and cleaned by sending an SMS on mobile number 58888.
Download Exclusive Shortcut eBooks on AppInstall GK Digest Android App
Cabinet approves ratification of BIMSTEC Convention
- The Union Cabinet chaired by the Prime Minister Narendra Modi has given its approval for signing and ratification of the Bay of Bengal Initiative on Multi Sectoral Technical and Economic Cooperation (BIMSTEC) Convention on Mutual Legal Assistance in Criminal Matters.
Government bans 350 drugs, including Phensedyl, Corex
- In a significant move ensuring safety and efficacy of medicines, the health ministry has banned around 350 fixed dose combination (FDC) drugs that were widely available in the market till now.
- These medicines include FDCs based on codine, used in popular cough syrups like Phensedyl and Corex.
Gujarat: Leaks In Kakrapar Nuclear Plant, One Unit Shut
- A power generation unit at Kakrapar Atomic Power Station in Surat was shut down after leakage of heavy water.
- Leakage in the primary heat transport system of unit one of Kakrapar atomic power station in Gujarat has forced the authorities to shut down the unit as an emergency measure.
Aadhar Scheme Collects Biometric Data of 99 Crore Indians
- The Aadhaar (Targeted Delivery of Financial and Other Subsidies, Benefits and Services) Bill, 2016, was passed by a voice vote after a brief debate, during which Finance Minister Arun Jaitley assured the House that details provided for the card will not be misused in any manner.
- When enacted, the Bill intends to empower the government in providing targeted services to the intended beneficiaries by assigning them unique identity numbers, called Aadhaar.
HDFC Bank Ties Up With 5 Start Ups
- HDFC Bank has chosen five start-ups it will work with to strengthen their web, mobile and payment offerings.
- The Bank shortlisted these five from 30 applications to work together in its field of operations at its maiden Digital Innovation Summit.
Long march against Indo-Bangladesh power plant near Sundarbans started
- A 250 km-long protest march against plans to build Rampal Power Station, Indo-Bangladesh coal-fired power plant near the Sundarbans, was kick-started on 10 March 2016.
- The protest march calls for scrapping the project that supposedly will harm the ecosystem of the world's largest mangrove forest.
Union Cabinet gave green signal for amendment to Sikh Gurdwaras Act, 1925
- The Union Cabinet on 10 March 2016 approved the proposal of the Ministry of Home Affairs to amend the Sikh Gurdwaras Act, 1925 through the Parliament retrospectively with effect from 8 October 2013.
- A meeting of the Union Cabinet, presided by Prime Minister Narendra Modi, considered the proposal and gave green signal to remove the exception given to Sehajdhari Sikhs in 1944 to vote in the elections for selecting members of the board and the committees constituted under the Act.
Smart Prep Kit by Ramandeep Singh - Get here