Denmark world’s happiest country: report
- Denmark overtook Switzerland as the world’s happiest place, according to a report on Wednesday that urged nations regardless of wealth to tackle inequality and protect the environment.
- The report, prepared by the Sustainable Development Solutions Network (SDSN) and the Earth Institute at Columbia University, showed Syria, Afghanistan and eight sub-Saharan countries as the 10 least happy places on earth to live.
Read Current Affairs in real timeInstall GK Digest Android App here
UN suspends Maria Sharapova as Goodwill Ambassador
- The United Nations (UN) has suspended Russian tennis player Maria Sharapova as Goodwill Ambassador of the organisation after she was tested positive on doping allegations.
Amitabh Bachchan to sing national anthem before India-Pakistan match
- Bollywood superstar Amitabh Bachchan will sing the National Anthem before the start of the marquee India-Pakistan World Twenty20 cricket match at the Eden Gardens on March 19.
World’s first fully electric double decker bus launched in London
- In UK, the world’s first fully electric double decker bus was launched by London’s transport authority and will start service in the British capital next month.
President inaugurates aviation show in Hyderabad
- President Pranab Mukherjee inaugurates the fifth edition of the India Aviation 2016, the biggest aviation show, in Hyderabad today.
Modi to join world leaders in wax at Madame Tussauds
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi will join the ranks of prominent global leaders at Madame Tussauds in London, Singapore, Hong Kong and Bangkok next month, the world famous wax museum announced today.
Haryana gets first Earthquake Warning System in country
- Haryana’s new secretariat in Chandigarh has become the only building in the country to have an early earthquake warning and security system.
- The system is already being used in 26 countries around the world and can provide crucial seconds for evacuation in event of an earthquake.
FICCI to fund construction of 250 toilets in govt schools in AP
- The construction of 250 toilets would be completed by March 2017 or even before.
- assisting the FICCI project by conducting surveys and identification of schools in rural areas.
SAARC Business Travelers’ Card expected by May
- Foreign Secretary S. Jaishankar today said that – the SAARC Business Travelers’ card that will ensure seamless movement of businessmen within the South Asian region will be launched by May.
Gamesa wins solar order from Sri Lanka
- Under this contract, Gamesa will provide complete turnkey EPC solutions that include engineering & design, supply of Gamesa Electric inverters, erection and commissioning of the 20MW photovoltaic solar plants. The plant will commence operation by October 2016.
Four Oil PSUs sign pacts to raise stake in Russian oil fields
- National oil companies — ONGC Videsh Ltd, Oil India Ltd, Indian Oil Corporation Ltd and Bharat Petro Resources — and Russia’s Rosneft signed memorandums of understanding and agreements on Wednesday to increase India’s participation in the Siberian oil and gas fields.
Smart Prep Kit by Ramandeep Singh - Get here