PM Narendra Modi launches Setu Bharatam Project
- 208 places have been identified for construction of rail over-bridges (ROB) or underpasses under the project.
- Around 1,500 bridges that are over 50 to 60 years old or of the British era will be overhauled and will be rebuilt. More than 50 thousand crore rupees will be spent on the project.
Get Free NotesInstall GK Digest Android App here
Former Lok Sabha Speaker P.A.Sangma passed away
- The former Meghalaya chief minister was elected to the Lok Sabha eight times since his first entry to the Lower House in 1977. He was the Lok Sabha Speaker between 1996 and 1998.
Election Commission announces Assembly Election in 5 States
- In Assam, elections will be held in two phases – April 4 and 11.
- In West Bengal, it will be held on April 4, 11, 17, 21, 25, 30, and May 5.
- In Tamil Nadu, Puducherry and Kerala, the elections will be held on May 16.
- Counting of votes for all five states will be done on May 19.
RBI floats draft framework for account aggregator NBFCs
- Only companies registered with the RBI as NBFC-AA would be able to undertake the business of an account aggregator.
Manoj Kumar to be conferred Dadasaheb Phalke Award
- The award is conferred by the Government of India for outstanding contribution to the growth and development of Indian Cinema. The Award consists of a Swarn Kamal, a cash prize of 10 lakhs rupees and a shawl.
Sunil Sabharwal took charge as Alternate Executive Director at IMF
- He took the charge after his appointed was confirmed by the US Senate. Earlier he was re-nominated to this key post at IMF by US President Barack Obama. With this he becomes first Indian-American to occupy a key administration post at the IMF.
Founder director of Pune-based National Film Archive of India, P K Nair, passed away today after a brief illness. He was 86.
Noted film archivist P K Nair passes away
- Paramesh Krishnan Nair dedicated his life to preservation of films and building its collection at the NFAI, and was instrumental in archiving several landmark Indian movies.
The Indian shooter JituRai today won win GOLD in the 50m Pistol Men final at the International Shooting Sports Federation( ISSF) World Cup in Bangkok.
Jitu Rai wins gold in 50m pistol event at ISSF World Cup
- He is currently ranked 5th in the world in this event.
FIH promotes Napoleon Singh as international UmpireThe International Hockey Federation (FIH), has promoted Hockey India national-level umpire Nepoleon Singh as the International Outdoor Umpire.
- The FIH took the decision after seeing his performance in the recently-concluded 12th South Asian Games 2016, held at Guwahati last month.
- With Nepoleon’s promotion, a total of 14 Indian umpires (10 men, 4 women) are now in the category of international-level umpires.
Mumbai U-23 team clinched CK Nayudu Trophy 2015-16The Mumbai under-23 team clinched the Col CK Nayudu Trophy by defeating Madhya Pradesh at the Holkar Stadium, Indore.
- This was Mumbai’s second big title of the season, having pocketed the Ranji Trophy for the 41st time earlier.