Shashank Manohar elected as ICC’s first independent Chairman
Former BCCI President Shashank Manohar has been elected unopposed as the first independent Chairman of the International Cricket Council (ICC).
Mukesh Ambani-owned Reliance Jio Infocomm has launched digital wallet service, named JioMoney Wallet, for Indian consumers.
- Mr. Manohar took the charge with immediate effect for a tenure of two years.
- The new Chairman must be an independent candidate with no formal links to any other cricket body.
Download exclusive notes on App onlyInstall GK Digest Android App here
AR Rahman Joins as Goodwill Ambassador for Rio Olympics
Top musician AR Rahman has become the fourth Goodwill Ambassador for Team India at the Rio Olympics in August 2016.
- Rahman joins an elite list that includes Sachin Tendulkar, Abhinav Bindra and Salman Khan.
UP govt. approves bicycle highway between Taj and lion safari
Uttar Pradesh Cabinet has given its approval to develop over 197- km long ‘bicycle highway’ from Agra to the lion safari in Etawah to encourage eco-tourism in vicinity of Taj Mahal.
- The highway was approved in a Cabinet meeting presided over by Chief Minister Akhilesh Yadav.
Reliance Jio launches JioMoney Wallet service
- JioMoney is a semi-closed prepaid wallet that aims to enable mobile-based transactions, where customers can store money and use it for purchasing goods and services.
ICICI launches country’s 1st contactless credit card for SMEs
ICICI Bank has launched the country’s first contact less business credit card in association with Jet Airways for small and mid-sized enterprises (SMEs) and their employees.
- ICICI Bank is the first bank globally to offer a dual advantage reward programme on the expenses and repayments of the credit card.
Congress Rajya Sabha member Praveen Rashtrapal passes away
Congress leader and Rajya Sabha member Praveen Rashtrapal (76-years) died after suffering a cardiac arrest.
- He is survived by three daughters and a son.
Kenya to shut World’s biggest refugee camp
The Kenyan government has decided to close the World’s biggest refugee camp in Dadaab.
- Around 3,28,000 refugees mostly from Somalia are staying in this camp.
- The camp compromises Kenya’s security because it harbors some of Somalia’s Al-Shabab militants and is a conduit for smuggling weapons.
Ritu Rani, Raghunath & Dharamvir recommended for Arjuna Award
Hockey India has recommended women’s team captain Ritu Rani, VR Raghunath and Dharamvir Singh for the Arjuna Award.
- Hockey India recommended Sylvanus Dung Dung for the Major Dhyan Chand Lifetime Achievement Award.
- Veteran Coach CR Kumar has been recommended for the Dronacharya Award.
England women’s captain Charlotte Edwards announces retirement
England’s women cricket team captain Charlotte Edwards (36- years)announced her international retirement.
- In her 20-year cricket career, she captained England for 10 yrs and became one of the most influential women in British Sport.
Wrestlers Ravinder Khatri, Babita Kumari bag Rio Olympic berths
Wrestlers Ravinder Khatri and Babita Kumari have secured Rio Olympic berths.
- Khatri was awarded the berth in the Greco-Roman 85 kg category after Kenzheev Zhanarbek of Kyrgystan failed the dope test at the Asian Olympic qualifier.
- Babita also booked a ticket to Rio after Sumiya Erdenechimeg failed the test in 53kg freestyle division.