Radhika Menon: First woman to receive Award for Exceptional Bravery at Sea
Radhika Menon will become the first woman in the world to receive the Award for Exceptional Bravery at Sea for 2016, from the International Maritime Organisation.
- Captain Menon was nominated by the Government of India, for the rescue of all seven fishermen from the fishing boat Durgamma, which was adrift following engine failure and loss of anchor in severe weather.
Centre constitutes cyber cell to check online abuse
Centre has constituted a cyber cell to check the online abuse and harassment of women and children on social media platforms.
- Women and Child Development Ministery has taken the decision as it has got several complaints from women.
Union Government launches KVK portal for monitoring of farm centres
Union Minister of Agriculture and Farmers Welfare Radha Mohan Singh has launched Krishi Vigyan Kendra (KVK) portal “http://kvk.icar.gov.in” in New Delhi.
- The portal aims to provide information and advisory to the farmers and facilitate online monitoring of the KVK activities.
Kerala Government imposes 14.5% fat tax on junk food
The Kerala government has announced to impose 14.5 % tax on junk food on the lines of ‘Fat Tax’ imposed on such food items.
- The need for the so-called ‘fat tax’ is explained by the fact the state currently has the second-highest obesity rate for children in India.
Govt to clean 10 iconic places under ‘Swachh Bharat Mission’
The government will carry out a drive to clean ten iconic places in the country as part of a pilot project under the ‘Swachh Bharat mission’.
- The places which have been selected are Vaishno Devi temple in Jammu and Kashmir, Taj Mahal in Uttar Pradesh, Tirupati temple in Andhra Pradesh, Golden Temple in Punjab, Ajmer Sharif in Rajasthan, Jagannath temple in Orissa, Chhatrapati Shivaji Terminus in Maharashtra, Manikarnika Ghat in Uttar Pradesh, Meenakshi Temple in Tamil Nadu and Kamakhya Temple in Assam.
West Bengal to set up three biotechnology hubs
The West Bengal Government has taken up a project to set up three biotechnology hubs across the state to bring in more biotechnology innovations to the State.
- The three proposed biotechnology hubs will come in Bardhaman, Kalimpong and Medinipur districts.
DRDO inks pact with IITs for Centre for Propulsion Technology
The Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO) has signed an agreement with IIT-Bombay and Madras to establish a bi-nodal ‘Centre of Propulsion Technology’ (CoPT) at the two institutions.
- The initiative is aimed at achieving synergy between DRDO and IITs for channelising the research efforts towards developing products and technologies.
Vishal Kapoor to be the new CEO of IDFC MF
IDFC Mutual Fund has announced the appointment of Mr. Vishal Kapoor as its chief executive officer.
Kapoor will be responsible for driving the accelerated growth of IDFC AMC.
Pakistani philanthropist Abdul Sattar Edhi passes away
Noted Pakistani philanthropist, social activist, ascetic and humanitarian Abdul Sattar Edhi (92-year) has passed away in Karachi.
- Edhi was the founder and head of the Edhi Foundation in Pakistan and known as Angel of Mercy, Pakistan’s ‘Father Teresa’ and was considered country’s most respected figure.