Theresa May becomes new British Prime Minister
- Conservative party leader Theresa May (59-year) became Prime Minister of United Kingdom.
- She succeeds David Cameron, who had resigned in the wake of Brexit referendum that ended his six-year-long stint as the Prime Minister of Britain.
Download exclusive notes on your mobileInstall GK Digest Android App here
Ashok Patnaik appointed new National Intelligence Grid chief
Senior IPS officer Ashok Patnaik has been appointed as CEO of the National Intelligence Grid (NATGRID).
- Patnaik is currently serving as Additional Director in the Intelligence Bureau and he will continue to hold this post till his superannuation in 2018.
Nabam Tuki takes charge as Arunachal Pradesh CM
- Nabam Tuki resumed his duties as Chief Minister of Arunachal Pradesh at Arunachal Bhavan in New Delhi.
- As of December 15 last the Congress had 47 MLAs in a House of 60, with the BJP having 11 and two Independents. Of the 47 Congress MLAs, 14 were disqualified by the Speaker.
K V R Murthy new CMD of Jute Corporation
- K V R Murthy has taken over as chairman-cum-managing director of the Jute Corporation of India Limited from July 2.
- His appointment is for a period of five years or till the date of his superannuation.
- Earlier,he was associated with Eastern Railways in the capacity of Chief Commercial Manager.
CCEA approves disinvestment of 15% paid-up equity in NBCL
- The Cabinet Committee on Economic Affairs (CCEA) has approved disinvestment of 15% paid-up equity in the National Building Construction Corporation Limited (NBCL) through the Offer for Sale route.
- According to Law Minister Ravi Shankar Prasad, the government hopes to earn over one thousand seven hundred crore rupees from the disinvestment.
Pay less for flight ticket cancellations from August 1
- Revised norms of ticket cancellation charges and bars airlines from levying additional amount for refund process are coming into force from August 1.
- According to Civil Aviation Minister Ashok Gajapathi Raju the cancellation amount will not to exceed basic fare plus fuel surcharge.
Pokhara-New Delhi direct bus service launched
- The first direct bus service between Pokhara (Nepal) and New Delhi (India) has been launched to connect South Asia’s two important cities.
- This bus service was flagged off by Nepal Home Minister Shakti Bahadur Basnet and India’s ambassador to Nepal Ranjit Rae from Pokhara (Nepal).
- The bus service was launched as per the Motor Vehicle Agreement (MVA) signed between both countries.
Talgo becomes the fastest train at 180 km/hr
- Spanish-made Talgo has become the fastest train in the country.
- In a trial conducted by Indian Railways on the Mathura-Palwal route, Tago clocked a speed of 180 kms per hour and covered 84 kms in 38 minutes.
BSE introduces ‘Paperless SIP’ for mutual fund investors
- Bombay Stock Exchange(BSE) is introducing ‘Paperless SIP‘ that would allow mutual fund investors to make transactions through various modes of payments.
- The additional feature on BSE’s mutual fund platform – StAR MF – would allow MF distributors to register SIPs for their clients, who can pay SIP amounts through various modes.
SBI signs MoU with IIT Bombay to promote startups
- State Bank of India (SBI) has signed a memorandum of understanding (MoU) with the Indian Institute of Technology Society for Innovation and Entrepreneurship (SINE), (IIT) Bombay’s technology business incubator, to promote innovation by startups in the financial sector.
- Both the parties will identify FinTech startups that have products or applications to cater to the financial sector and can help SBI explore opportunities to enhance the synergy for their banking services.
Smart Prep Kit by Ramandeep Singh - Get here