Terrapin 3 Acquisition Corporation acquires Yatra Online for $218 mn
- Yatra Online, Inc. and Terrapin 3 Acquisition Corporation on 14 July 2016 entered into a definitive merger agreement. The transaction values Yatra at an enterprise value of 218 million dollars (1458 crore rupees).
- Yatra in its statement said that it intends to be listed on the NASDAQ Stock Market under the symbol "YATRA" following completion of the transaction.
Download exclusive notes on your mobileInstall GK Digest Android App
Tata Advanced Systems signs deal with Bell Helicopter
- Tata Advanced System (TASL) and Bell Helicopter, a Textron Company on 14 July 2016 signed an agreement to work together in support of India’s aviation and defense modernization initiatives. The agreement was inked with an emphasis on ‘Make in India’.
‘Ramayana month’ begins in Kerala
- Kerala on 16 July 2016 started observing Ramayana month in the temples. In Malayalam it is termed as the Ramayana Masam. The Ramayana Month starts with the commencement of Malayalam month ‘Karkidakam’.
- During this month the temples and homes of the state recites Adhyatma Ramayanam Kilippattu written by medieval devotional poet Thunjath Ezhuthachan for the 30 days. Ezhuthachan is regarded as the father of Malayalam literature.
Courage & Commitment authored by Margaret Alva
- A book titled Courage & Commitment: An Autobiography by Margaret Alva was in news in the second week of July 2016.
- Via this book, Alva narrates her forty-year career under four Prime Ministers, namely Indira Gandhi, Rajiv Gandhi, PV Narasimha Rao and Manmohan Singh. It also tells about her transition from politician to Governor.
Pema Khandu sworn in as the 10th Chief Minister of Arunachal Pradesh
- Pema Khandu (36) of Congress Party was sworn in as the 10th Chief Minister of Arunachal Pradesh. With this,he became the youngest Chief Minister in the country.
- He was administered the oath to office and secrecy by Governor Tathagata Roy at the Rajbhavan in Itanagar. Besides, Chowna Mein was sworn in as the Deputy Chief Minister.
Union Commerce Ministry launches e-marketplace portal for goods procurement
- The Union Commerce Ministry has launched an e-marketplace portal for online purchase of goods and services by various central government ministries and departments.
- It was launched by the Union Minister of State (MoS) Commerce and Industry Nirmala Sitharaman in New Delhi.
11th ASEM Summit issues Ulaanbaatar Declaration
- The eleventh edition of the Asia-Europe Meeting Summit (ASEM11) or ASEM2016 has issued Ulaanbaatar Declaration. The declaration has reaffirmed ASEM’s commitment for greater partnership through informal political dialogue and initiatives in economic and socio-cultural fields. It also has expressed its commitment for united fight against terrorism and violent extremism.