Navjot Singh Sidhu resigns from Rajya Sabha
- BJP leader and Rajya Sabha member Navjot Singh Sidhu has resigned from house.
- Earlier, Cricketer-turned-politician Sindhu was nominated to the Rajya Sabha in April this year.
Download Exclusive Notes on your Android PhoneInstall GK Digest Android App here
18th July: Nelson Mandela International Day
- Nelson Mandela International Day is an annual international day in honour of Nelson Mandela, celebrated each year on 18 July (Mandela’s birthday).
- The day was officially declared by the United Nations in November 2009, with the first UN Mandela Day held on 18 July 2010.
RBI sets up an Inter-regulatory Working Group on Fin Tech and Digital Banking
- The Reserve Bank of India (RBI) has constituted an inter-regulatory Working Group to study the entire gamut of regulatory issues relating to Financial Technology and Digital Banking in India.
- 12 members Working Group will be headed by Sudarshan Sen,Executive Director of RBI.
Sovereign Gold Bond scheme opened for subscription
- The fourth tranche of the Sovereign Gold Bonds scheme opened for subscription.
- The bond can be purchased from the National Stock Exchange and Bombay Stock Exchange, besides all Bank branches, select Post Offices and the Stock Holding Corporation of India Limited.
Coimbatore-based Air Carnival commences operations
- Low cost airline with pink and white themed Air Carnival has been launched its operations with its maiden flight from Coimbatore to Chennai.
- Air Carnival is the subsidiary of Coimbatore Marine College Group of Institutions, which was established in 2002 in Coimbatore.
- The airline will focus on short-haul services with ATR72-500 aircraft.
NGT asks Delhi Transport Authority to de-register 10 year old diesel vehicles
- The National Green Tribunal (NGT) ordered immediate banning of diesel vehicles more than 10 years old in Delhi to deal with pollution in the national capital.
- Earlier, the tribunal had asked Delhi to ban such vehicles saying that pollution levels are at alarming levels.
Over 14 lakh LPG connections released under PMUY
- Over fourteen lakh LPG connections have been released to the women of BPL families under the Pradhan Mantri Ujjwala Yojana (PMUY).
- According to the Ministry of Petroleum and Natural Gas, the scheme is currently under operation in 487 districts of 17 states.
Dabur and DRDO unit tie up for high altitude medicinal plants
- Dabur has tied up with the Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO’s) unit Defense Institute of High Altitude Research (DIHAR), Leh for sustainable cultivation of high-altitude medicinal plants in Ladakh.
- As per this deal, both organizations will educate farmers and help enhance livelihood opportunities in the cold desert area.
- This is the first step towards the goal of implementing conservation & environmental development benefits in Leh-Ladakh.
- Under this tie-up with the unit of DRDO, Dabur will also impart training to the villagers on sustainable cultivation of herbs.
India beat South Korea 4-1 in Davis Cup
- India has defeated South Korea 4-1 in the Davis Cup Asia-Oceania Group-I in Chandigarh.
- Playing his first Davis Cup singles match in four years, Rohan Bopanna edged past Hong Chung in a tough match.
- India will now make its third attempt to qualify for the elite 16-nation World Group.
Dipika and Saurav Ghosal clinch National Squash tittles
- Dipika Pallikal Karthik dethroned defending champion Joshna Chinappa to regain the women’s title in the 73rd Senior National Squash Championship in Mumbai.
- The men’s crown was captured by title holder and top seed Saurav Ghosal, who created history by winning it for the 11th times.
- He beat fourth seed Harinderpal Singh Sandhu (11-7 7-11 3-11 11-8 14-12) in five hard-fought games.
Smart Prep Kit by Ramandeep Singh - Get here