Guruprasad Mohapatra appointed as Chairman of Airports Authority of India
- Senior IAS officer (1986-batch) Guruprasad Mohapatra has been appointed as Chairman of Airports Authority of India (AAI).
- Earlier, he was working as Joint Secretary in Union Ministry of Commerce from the past two years.
Download exclusive notes on your mobileInstall GK Digest Android App here
World Bank confirms NYU’s Paul Romer as Chief Economist
- The World Bank has confirmed New York University economics professor Paul Romer (60-yers) its next chief economist.
- He will replace Kaushik Basu, a former Indian government economics adviser who is retiring.
India’s first e-court opened at Hyderabad High Court
- India’s first e-court (paperless court) was opened at High Court of Judicature at Hyderabad .
- High Court of Hyderabad is the common high court for the states of Andhra Pradesh and Telangana.
- It has been inaugurated by Supreme Court judge Justice Madan B. Lokur who heads the e-Committee of the Supreme Court.
Indian Railways to install TRI-NETRA to reduce train accidents
- The Indian Railways has initiated process to launch the Terrain Imaging for Diesel Drivers-Infrared Enhanced Optical and Radar Assisted (Tri-NETRA) system to avoid train accidents.
- The system will be installed on locomotives for enhancing the vision of Locomotive Pilots in inclement weather.
Govt. allocates Rs 22,915 cr capital to 13 PSU banks for FY17
- Government has allocated 22,915 crore rupees capital to 13 public sector banks for the current fiscal.
- Government has undertaken an exercise to assess the capitalization needs of Public Sector Banks in line with the announcements made under the Union Budget.
Terrapin acquires Yatra Online for $218 mn
- Yatra online has been entered into a merger agreement with a NASDAQ- listed special purpose acquisition firm Terrapin 3 Acquisition Corp(TRTL).
- The transaction values Yatra at an enterprise value of $218 million (Rs 1,458 crore).
- The combined company will continue to be led by Yatra’s experienced management team under the leadership of chief executive and co-founder Dhruv Shringi.
Commerce Ministry starts e-marketplace for goods procurement
- Union Minister of State (MoS) Commerce and Industry Nirmala Sitharaman has launched an e-marketplace for online purchase of goods and services by various central government ministries and departments in New Delhi .
- The portal has been developed by the Directorate General of Supplies and Disposals (DGS&D) which works under the Commerce Ministry and carries out the procurement.
Turkish musician Kudsi Erguner named UNESCO Artist for Peace
- Turkish musician Kudsi Erguner has been appointed as the UNESCO Artist for Peace by the Director-General of UNESCO, Irina Bokova.
- He was appointed after the opening ceremony of the 40th session of the World Heritage Committee (WHC) held in Istanbul, Turkey.
Legendary playback singer Mubarak Begum passes away
- Legendary playback singer Mubarak Begum (80-year) passed away in Mumbai, Maharashtra.
- She is known for her singing scores of songs, duets and ghazals for Bollywood, mainly during the (1950-70s).
Pakistan’s Yasir Shah scales number one spot in ICC Test rankings
- Pakistan’s spinner Yasir Shah has scaled the number one spot in the ICC Test rankings becoming the first Pakistani bowler to do so since Mushtaq Ahmed in December 1996.
- He reached the number-one spot after bowling Pakistan to a 75-run victory over England in the first Test at Lord’s.
Smart Prep Kit by Ramandeep Singh - Get here