Turkey declares three-month state of emergency
- Turkey’s President Recep Tayyip Erdogan has declared a three-month state of emergency after a failed military coup.
- The decision was made following a meeting with cabinet ministers and top security advisers in Ankara.
Download exclusive notes on your mobileInstall GK Digest Android App here
Cabinet approves establishment of new AIIMS at Gorakhpur
- The cabinet approved the establishment of an All India Institute of Medical Sciences (AIIMS) at Gorakhpur in Uttar Pradesh under the Pradhan Mantri Swasthya Suraksha Yojana (PMSSY).
- The cost of the project for the establishment of the new AIIMS in Gorakhpur shall be Rs. 1011 crore.
IIT Council to provide opportunity to foreign students to study in IITs
- The Indian Institute of Technology Council has decided to provide opportunity to eligible foreign students to study in the IITs.
- The focus will be on the neighbouring countries including Afghanistan, Bangladesh, Sri Lanka, Maldives, Nepal, Bhutan, Singapore, United Arab Emirates and Ethiopia.
- Under this initiative, the advanced joint entrance examination will be held in these countries to pick up eligible students for admission.
Aadhaar Must For Getting UGC Fellowship Or Scholarship
- The University Grants Commission (UGC) has asked applicants to provide Aadhaar number while applying for any UGC fellowship or scholarship.
- Aadhaar will be used as an identifier for availing benefits of the UGC scholarship/fellowship schemes.
The Great Derangement: Climate Change and the Unthinkable: Amitav Ghosh
- Noted writer Amitav Ghosh’s latest book “The Great Derangement: Climate Change and the Unthinkable” is an extended essay of sorts on climate change.
- The book addresses the challenges of representing the complexity of climate change in literature and the responsibility of writers to document the extreme reality humans are now facing.
- Ghosh examines the inability at the level of literature, history and politics to grasp the scale and violence of climate change.
NASA announces discovery of 104 new planets outside solar system
- NASA has announced the discovery of 104 new planets outside our solar system including four that could have Earth-like, rocky surfaces.
- The unmanned Kepler mission has been scanning 150,000 stars in the Cygnus constellation for signs of orbiting bodies, particularly those that might be able to support life.
Oldest and last Babri litigant Hashim Ansari passes away
- The oldest litigant of Babri Mosque Ram Janmbhumi dispute of Ayodhya, Mohammad Hashim Ansari (96-year) has passed away.
- He was ailing for sometime due to heart-related ailments, breathed his last at his house in Ayodhya (Uttar Pradesh).
- Ansari’s father was a tailor who owned a shop in the Shringar Haat area.
BCCI conducts English language and communication skills
- The Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) has organised a course for umpires on English language and communication skills.
- The first batch took place from July 12 to 16 and the second is scheduled from July 19 to 23 in Mumbai.
- The course has been designed by the British Council along with the International Cricket Council (ICC).
Smart Prep Kit by Ramandeep Singh - Get here