Kargil Vijay Diwas : 26th July'
- Kargil Vijay Diwas is observed on 26th July every year in honour of the Kargil War’s Heroes.
- Today, Defence minister Manohar Parikar and three service chief paid homage to Kargil martyrs at Amar Jawan Jyoti, India Gate in New Delhi.
- On this day in 1999 that the Indian Armed Forces, as part of Operation Vijay, recaptured Indian posts in Kargil which had been occupied by Pakistan’s army.
Download exclusive notes on your MobileInstall GK Digest Android App here
Budha Rashmi Mani appointed as DG of National Museum
- Noted archaeologist Dr. Budha Rashmi Mani has been appointed as Director General (DG) of National Museum.
- He has been appointed by the Appointments Committee of the Cabinet presided by Prime Minister Narendra Modi.
- Mani will have tenure of three years or till attainment of age seventy.
First Water Metro of India launched in Kochi
- Chief Minister of Kerala Pinarayi Vijayan has launched Kochi water Metro project in Kochi, Kerala.
- It is first ever Water Metro project in the country. It will be operational in two years.
- The aim of the water Metro project is to provide water connectivity to people who are living between islands in the Kochi agglomeration area and the city.
- It will be built at an estimated cost of 747 crores Rupees funded by German Development Bank (Kfw).
IRCTC offers Rs 10 lakh insurance cover for passengers
- Booking tickets of Indian railway through the Indian Railway Catering and Tourism Corporation (IRCTC) website can avail a travel accident cover of 10 lakh rupees at a premium of one rupee from September 2016.
- According to the IRCTC Chairman-cum-Managing Director AK Manocha the insurance cover is besides the compensation given by the Railways in case of accidents to valid ticket holders.
Sangita Kalanidhi’ award for ace violinist Kanyakumari
- An outstanding violinist Avasarala Kanyakumari will get the prestigious 2016 Sangita Kalanidhi Award.
- The executive committee of the Academy has unanimously chosen her for its coveted award.
Flipkart’s Myntra acquires Jabong $70 million
- Indian e-commerce company Flipkart Ltd has acquired Jabong through its unit Myntra in a cut-price deal that values the online fashion store at $70 million.
- Jabong is an Indian fashion and lifestyle e-commerce portal founded by Praveen Sinha,Lakshmi Potluri,Arun Chandra Mohan.
- Jabong portal sells apparel, footwear, fashion accessories, beauty products, fragrances, home accessories and other fashion and lifestyle products.
Ravichandran Ashwin becomes No 1 Test bowler
- Indian off-spinner Ravichandran Ashwin has become the number one Test bowler again, after taking 7 wickets in the 1st Test against West Indies.
- He has returned to the top of the charts by replacing Pakistani leg spinner Yasir Shah.
- He moved one spot to achieve 876 rating points while Yasir slipped 4 positions.
Oldest elephant in Kerala set to enter Guinness World Records
- Dakshayani, 86, is all set to enter the Guinness World Records as the oldest living elephant.
- The Travancore Devasom Board (TDB) - the owner of the elephant - has already written to the Guinness authorities staking claim to Dakshayani being the oldest living elephant in the world.