Bezwada Wilson and TM Krishna win Ramon Magsaysay Award for 2016
- Bezwada Wilson and TM Krishna have been conferred the Ramon Magsaysay Award for 2016.
- The four other awardees for 2016 are Conchita Carpio-Morales (Philippines), Dompet Dhuafa (Indonesia), Vientiane Rescue(Laos) and the Japan Overseas Cooperation Volunteers (Japan).
Download exclusive notes on your mobileInstall GK Digest Android App here
Odisha announces Rs.60 lakh special incentive for Rio Olympic qualifiers
- Chief Minister of Odisa Naveen Patnaik has announced Rs. 60 lakh cash for six sports persons of the state who have qualified for the Rio Olympics 2016.
- The six sports persons are Dutee Chand (sprinter-100 m) and Srabani Nanda (sprinters-200m) and four hockey players Deep Grace Ekka, Namita Toppo, Lilima Minz and Sunita Lakra.
Oldest elephant in Kerala set to enter Guinness world records
- Dakshayani (86-year) is all set to enter the Guinness World Records as the oldest living elephant.
- TDB has written to the Guinness authorities staking claim to Dakshayani being the oldest living elephant in the world.
Govt approves Rs 1,601 crore for Himayat programme in J&K
- The Union Government has approved 1,600 crore rupees for Jammu and Kashmir under skill development initiative “Himayat” programme.
- In this Himayat programme, youths from rural and urban areas of J&K would be imparted with training in various job-intensive vocational courses over the next three years.
Sharad Pawar to step down voluntarily as Mumbai chief
- Mumbai Cricket Association president Sharad Pawar (75-year) will step down as Mumbai Cricket Association (MCA) president within six months.
- Earlier,RM Lodha Committee had recommended that there be caps of 70 years on age and duration of tenure of 9 years of elected office bearers and state associations.
Lok Sabha passes Child Labour Amendment Bill
- The Child Labour (Prohibition and Regulation) Amendment Bill has been passed by Lok Sabha.
- Earlier, the bill was first passed in Rajya Sabha and later in Lok Sabha during this monsoon session of Parliament.
- This bill prohibits employment of children below 14 years in all occupations except in family business, with the provision for the imprisonment of up to two years for any violation.
Former diplomat Arundhati Ghose passes away
- Eminent diplomat Arundhati Ghose (76-year) has passed away at her residence in Delhi.
- Ghose led the Indian delegation at the Comprehensive Nuclear Test Ban Treaty (CTBT) negotiations in Geneva in 1996.
SBI use IOC kisan seva centres to serve farmers
- State bank of india (SBI) has used Indian Oil Corporation’s ‘Kisan Seva Kendras’ to extend banking facilities to farmers across the country.
- Indian Oil Corporation has set up 6,500 Kisan Seva Kendrass in rural and remote areas to provide access to the agricultural inputs like diesel, seeds, fertilizers, pesticides to farmers.
SBI PO Smart Prep Kit by Ramandeep Singh - Get here