World Hepatitis Day being observed
- World Hepatitis Day is being observed world wide on 28 July to raise global awareness of Hepatitis and encourage prevention, diagnosis and treatment.
- The theme of this year is ‘Elimination‘.
- This year sees the first ever World Health Organization’s Global Strategy for Viral Hepatitis, which sets a goal of eliminating viral hepatitis as a public health threat by 2030.
Download exclusive notes on your PhoneInstall GK Digest Android App here
Haryana govt to set up de-addiction centres in Jails
- Haryana Government has decided to set up de-addiction centres in the premises of Jails of the State.
- In first phase, such centres would be set up at Central Jail in Hisar and District Jail Rohtak .
‘East Bengal’ to honour Milkha Singh with Bharat Gaurav award
- Kolkata’s football club ‘East Bengal‘ has announced, this year’s Bharat Gaurav award to legendary athlete Milkha Singh.
- Singh will be honored with the prestigious award on the East Bengal Foundation Day, 1st of August.
RBI imposes Rs 27 crore penalty on 13 banks for FEMA violations
- Reserve Bank of India (RBI) has imposed 27 crore rupees penalty on 13 public and private sector banks including PNB and HDFC Bank for Foreign Exchange Management (FEMA) Act violations and Know your customer (KYC) lapses.
- RBI asked banks to ensure strict compliance with the guidelines.
- RBI had undertaken a scrutiny on advance import remittances in 21 banks in October and November last year.
SBI launches debit card-less instant money transfer facility
- State Bank of India (SBI) has launched a payment system at its ATMs which will allow the account holders to transfer the money by using the mobile phone number as an identifier.
- This payment facility system works on instant money transfer (IMT) platform.
- The IMT is a unique payment system launched by Eempays Payment Systems Pvt Ltd.
Father of Hybrid Sorghum Neelamraju Ganga Prasada Rao passes away
- Agricultural scientist Neelamraju Ganga Prasada Rao (89-year) has passed away in Hyderabad following a brief illness.
- Rao was well-known for basic and applied research in breeding and agronomy of several dry land crops .
- He earned the title of ‘Father of Hybrid Sorghum’ in India.
Mahasweta Devi passes away
- Eminent writer and social activist Mahasweta Devi (90-year) has passed away at a private hospital in Kolkata.
- She was a recipient of the Sahitya Akademi Award, Padma Vibhushan, Jnanpith and Magsaysay Award among several others.
International Olympic Committee to launch Olympic Channel
- The International Olympic Committee’s new television channel (IOC) will launch after the end of Rio Olympics, 21st August.
- According to the IOC President Thomas Bach the launch of the channel is the start of an exciting new journey to connect the worldwide audience with the Olympic Movement all year round.
Smart Prep Kit by Ramandeep Singh - Get here