PM Modi attends martyrdom anniversary of Baba Banda Singh Bahadur
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi has attended a commemorative event to mark the 300th Martyrdom Anniversary of Baba Banda Singh Bahadur in New Delhi.
- On the occasion, Prime Minister Modi has released a book and souvenir on the life of Banda Bahadur.
Download exclusive notes on your mobileInstall GK Digest Android App here
National mineral exploration policy unveiled
- The National mineral exploration policy has been unveiled to adopt comprehensive exploration of non fuel and non coal mineral resources.
- The objective is to set in motion a massive process for mineral exploration on the country that would give a major boost to the economy.
PM meets Indian athletes going to participate in Rio Olympic
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi met the athletes who will represent India at the forthcoming Olympic Games in Rio de Janeiro.
- He interacted informally with the members of Indian contingent at Manekshaw Centre in New Delhi.
President inaugurates smart village pilot project at Rashtrapati Bhavan
- President Pranab Mukherjee has inaugurated a smart model village pilot project at Rashtrapati Bhavan in New Delhi.
- This initiative will be implemented in five selected villages in Haryana than later on it will be spread to the entire country.
Former French Prime Minister Michel Rocard passes away
- Former Prime Minister of France Michel Rocard (85-year) passed away in Paris, France.
- Rocard served as Prime Minister under President Francois Mitterrand from 1988 to 1991.
Holocaust survivor Elie Wiesel passes away
- Elie Wiesel (87-year) a Holocaust survivor and author who fought for peace, human rights and simple human decency has passed away.
- He was a professor at the City College of New York from 1972 until he left four years later to become a humanities professor at Boston University.
- Before that, Wiesel was a journalist in Paris and then New York.
FPI invests over Rs 3,700 cr into Indian equities in June
- Foreign investors brought in over 3,700 crore rupees into Indian equities in June, mainly on hopes of a good monsoon.
- According to data available with depositories, Foreign portfolio investors have invested a net of 3,713 crore in the stock market last month.
India to host world’s first MMA ‘Super Fight League’
- India will be hosting the world’s first Mixed Martial Arts (MMA) ‘Super Fight League‘ from August 26 to October 1.
- The franchise-based league will feature eight teams – Delhi, Uttar Pradesh, Mumbai, Haryana, Bangalore, Punjab, Pune and Goa.
Canada Open Badminton: Indian shuttlers bag twin crowns
- Double bonanza for India at the Canada Open Grand Prix Badminton as B Sai Praneeth and men’s doubles pair of Manu Attri and B Sumeeth Reddy clinched twin crowns.
- Praneeth thrashed South Korea’s Lee Hyun II, 21-12 21-10 to win the championsip in Calgary last night.
- It was Praneet’s first final of the year.
ICC relaxes Decision Review System for LBWs
- The International Cricket Council (ICC) has approved a change to the Decision Review System (DRS) playing condition relating to the Leg before wicket (LBW) “Umpire’s Call”.
- The decision will allow changes to the decision review system which will make it easier to overturn not-out LBW decisions.
- The decision has been taken at ICC’s annual conference in Edinburgh.