World’s largest charkha unveiled at Delhi airport
- Micro, Small and Medium Enterprises Minister Kalraj Mishra has unveiled the world’s largest Charkha at Terminal 3 of the Indira Gandhi International Airport, IGI in New Delhi.
- The idea behind displaying the Charkha at the airport is to highlight India’s quest to foster an egalitarian society as demonstrated by Mahatma Gandhi, the father of the nation.
Download exclusive notes on your mobileInstall GK Digest Android App here
SC-appointed green panel recommends high pollution cess
- The Supreme Court-appointed green panel Environment Pollution Control Authority (EPCA) has recommended high pollution cess of up to 25% on the cost of diesel cars above 2,000 cc.
- EPCA reasoned that imposition of steep cess was imperative to control air pollution in the national capital by making diesel vehicles cost prohibitive.
President of India inaugurates swami Vivekanand Sabhagar
- The President of India, Shri Pranab Mukherjee has inaugurated Swami Vivekanand Sabhagar at Kathak Kendra of Sangeet Natak Akademi in New Delhi.
- The President dedicated The Swami Vivekanand Sabhagar to all the gurus, students and disciples of Kathak and hoped that Swami Vivekananda will forever bless us with his vision of excellence.
Rajasthan becomes first state to introduce minimum wages for part time workers
- Rajasthan has become the first state in the country to introduce minimum wages for part time workers.
- According to notification of Labour Department it is now mandatory to pay 50% of the prescribed a day minimum wage to a person who works for less than four hours in a day.
TRAI launches “Myspeed app to track mobile data speed
- The Telecom Regulatory Authority of India (Trai) will start a consultation process to fix ‘quality of service’ rules for mobile data, including the average data speed for operators.
- The regulator also launched a mobile app for measuring real-time internet speeds that consumers get.
Veteran communist leader Romesh Chandra passed away
- Veteran communist leader and former World Peace Council president Romesh Chandra (94 year) has passed away in Mumbai.
- He was a recipient of Lenin Peace Award and had also worked as the editor of CPI’s central organ New Age.
Niranjan wins eight medals in IWAS World Games
- Para swimmer Niranjan Mukundan has won eight medals, including three golds, at the recently-concluded IWAS (International Wheelchair and Amputee Sports) U-23 World Games in Prague, Czech Republic.
- He bagged gold medals in 200m freestyle, 50m butterfly and 50m breaststroke, silver in 100m fly and 50m freestyle, and bronze in 100m freestyle, 100m breaststroke and 100m backstroke events.