Prakash Javadekar takes charge of HRD ministry
- Newly-elevated Cabinet minister Prakash Javadekar took charge of the Ministry of Human Resource Development, HRD.
- He replaces Smriti Irani, who after serving as the HRD minister for two years, took charge of the Ministry of Textiles yesterday.
- He is the only Minister of State to be elevated to cabinet rank in reshuffle.
Download exclusive notes on your mobileInstall GK Digest Android App here
Deepak Singhal becomes new Chief Secretary of UP
- Principal Secretary of Irrigation Deepak Singhal has been appointed the new Chief Secretary of Uttar Pradesh.
- He has replaced Alok Ranjan, who has got retire on 30 June 2016 after a three-month extension of service.
Namami Gange projects for cleaning river Ganga launched
- Namami Gange programme for cleaning of river Ganga has been launched by Water Resources Minister Uma Bharti from Haridwar.
- She has inaugurated 231 projects under the Namami Gange Programme.
- These programmes were launched at many other places also for cleaning of Ganga and its tributaries from Gangotri to Howrah.
Odisha government doubles prize money of Unesco Kalinga prize
- The Odisha government has decided to double the Unesco Kalinga prize-2017 money from 20 thousand to 40 thousand US dollars.
- The increase in the prize money was approved by the Odisha government.
Non-urea fertiliser prices slashed by up to Rs 5,000/tonne
- The retail prices of non-urea fertilisers including DAP have been slashed by up to Rs 5,000 per tonne following drop in global prices of raw materials.
- According to Union Minister Ananth Kumar the state-run fertiliser firms Rashtriya Chemicals and Fertilizers and National Fertilizers Ltd as well as private firm Indian Potash Ltd have agreed to reduce the price of non-urea fertilizers.
SBI Card launches premium credit card ‘ELITE’
- SBI Cards and Payment Services (SBI Card) has launched a premium credit card ‘Elite‘.
- Elite is a bundle of several privileges and benefits for high net worth individuals .
- This card is launched on the Master Card World platform which is enabled with Near Field Communication technology.
Govt forms panel to examine desirability and feasibility of new financial year
- The government has set up a four member committee to examine the desirability and feasibility of having a new financial year.
- Committee will be headed by former Chief Economic Advisor Shankar Acharya.
Dipa Karmakar becomes first Indian gymnast to bag ‘World Class Gymnast’ award
- India’s gymnast Dipa Karmakar created history as she clinched ‘World Class Gymnast‘ award by the Federation Internationale de Gymnastique (FIG).
- She is the first Indian gymnast to secure this award as ‘Gymnaste de Classe Mondaile’ given by FIG.