India, S Africa sign MoUs in four areas of co-operation
- India and South Africa have signed Memorandum of Understandings (MoUs) and agreements in four areas of bilateral co-operation.
- The MoUs are in the area of Information and Communication technology, Tourism, Grass root innovation and ‘art and culture’.
Download Exclusive Notes on your MobileInstall GK Digest Android App here
Film festival on wildlife has begun in Shimla
- A three-day Woodpecker Environment and Wildlife Film Festival has begun at historic Gaiety Theatre in Shimla.
- The festival is being organized by WWF-India in collaboration with CMSR foundation, Delhi with the support of the Himachal Pradesh’s Department of Language, Art and culture and Department of Forest.
India-Mozambique ink three agreements
- India and Mozambique have signed three Memoranda of Understanding (MoU) in areas of drug trafficking, pulse trading and sports.
- MoU on long term agreement for purchase of pulses.
- MoU on cooperation in the field of youth affairs and sports.
- MoU on reduction of drug trafficking and psychotropic substances and related materials.
Google buys France-based startup Moodstocks
- Search giant Google has acquired a French startup called Moodstock.
- The Moodstock is a Paris-based startup that develops image recognition technology for smartphones whose APIs for developers have been described as “Shazam for images”.
India sets up apparel training centre in Nigeria
- India has set up an apparel training centre in Nigeria to support textiles industry of the west African country.
- This is a first of its kind centre in Nigeria, set up in partnership with their government.
- The centre has been established in Kaduna, Nigeria under the Cotton Technical Assistance Programme for Africa.
S K Kohli appointed as the chief defence accounts auditor
- Senior bureaucrat S K Kohli has been appointed as the Controller General of Defence Accounts (CGDA).
- His appointment has been approved by the Appointments Committee of Cabinet as the Kohli’s empanelment for promotion to the post of CGDA.
Ramraje Naik Nimbalkar re-elected as Maharashtra Council Chairman
- Current Chairman of Maharashtra Legislative Council and NCP leader Ramraje Naik Nimbalkar has been re-elected as the chairman of Maharashtra Legislative Council.
- The session was called especially for electing chairman in the Upper House as the term of Nimbalkar .
- He was last month re-elected unopposed to the Upper House.
Maharashtra CM expands Council of Ministers
- Maharashtra Chief Minister Devendra Fadnavis has expanded his council of ministers, inducting 11 ministers, including 10 new faces.
- The six cabinet ministers include five BJP legislators and one from ally Rashtriya Samaj Paksha while the five Ministers of State include two of BJP, two of Shiv Sena and one of Swabhimani Shetkari Sanghatna.
- With this the total ministers in state cabinet is 39 now.
Noted Music director Omi passes away
- Noted music director Om Prakash Sonik (77-year) passed away in Mumbai, Maharashtra.
- He was composer part of the Sonik-Omi duo consisting of Master Sonik and his nephew Omi.
South African writer Lidudumalingani Mqombothi wins 2016 Caine Prize
- South African writer Lidudumalingani Mqombothi has won the ‘2016 The Caine Prize’ for African Writing for his story ‘Memories we Lost’.
- The prize, launched in 2000, is awarded annually to an African writer of a short story published in English.
Smart Prep Kit by Ramandeep Singh - Get here