1. My father told me (A)/ that if I do not (B)/ study seriously (C)/ I would fail. (D) No error. (E)
3. The teacher asked (A)/ the student (B)/ why had he (C)/ not done his homework . (D)/ No error. (E)
4. I want (A)/ to get rid from (B)/ this bad habit (C)/ immediately. (D)/ No error. (E)
5. The news that (A)/ the Lebanon Prime Minister (B)/ was killed (C)/ in aircrash is correct. (D)/ No error. (E)
6. Be careful (A)/ lest you will (B)/ fall (C)/ and hurt yourself. (D)/ No error. (E)
7. I, along with my parents (A)/ were (B)/ present (C)/ at the reception . (D) No error. (E)
8. Although I tried (A)/ my best (B)/ I could not prevent him to do (C)/ that mischief . (D)/ No error . (E)
9. Many persons (A)/ who came to attend the meeting (B)/ did not know (C)/ each other. (D)/ No error. (E)
10. The telephone bell (A) rang (B)/ when I (C)/ took bath. (D)/ No error. (E)
11. I am working (A)/ in the office (B)/ for a (C)/ very long period. (D)/ No error. (E)
12. If you would have (A)/ come to me (B)/ in time (C)/ I would have helped you. (D)/ No error. (E)
13. He asked me (A)/ if the number of dacoities (B)/ this year were more than (C)/ that of the last year. (D)/ No error . (E)
14. Unless you do not (A)/ study seriously (B)/ you will not pass (C)/ the examination. (D)/ No error. (E)
15. The suspected terrorist (A)/ was remanded (B)/ by the judge (C)/ to a week. (D)/ No error. (E)
16. Everyone except me (A)/ have been (B)/ able to solve (C)/ all the sums. (D)/ No error. (E)
17. No sooner (A)/ did I reach home (B)/ then (C)/ it started raining. (D)/ No error . (E)
18. He has (A)/ been studying (B)/ in this college (C)/ from 1975. (D)/ No error . (E)
19. One of my sister (A)/ is a (B)/ doctor (C)/ in England. (D)/ No error. (E)
20. I knew (A)/ that he will fail (B)/ because he did not (C)/ study seriously. (D)/ No error. (E)
1. (B) Since the principal clause of the sentence is in the past tense, the subordinate clause should also be in the past tense. Hence, that if I did not is the correct usage.
2. (D) Cousin sister is a slang use, the correct use is cousin.
3. (C) If an interrogative sentence is changed to indirect speech, the noun or pronoun is placed before the helping verb. The correct usage is why he had.
4. (B) To get rid is followed by the preposition of . Hence, the correct use is to get rid of.
5. (E) The sentence is correct.
6. (B) Lest is always followed by should and hence, the correct use is lest you should.
7. (B) In this sentence, the subject of the helping verb were is I (singular). hence. the correct use is was, the singular verb.
8. (C) Prevent is followed by the preposition from and present participle, Hence, the correct use is I could not prevent him from doing.
9. (D) Each other is used when there are only two persons. One another is used when there are many.
10. (D) The clause denotes a continuous action in the past. Hence, past continuous was taking bath should be used.
11. (A) The sentence denotes a present perfect continuous action. Hence, the correct use is I have been working.
12. (A) Had in the principal clause is followed by would have in the subordinate clause. Hence, the principal clause should have If you had.
13. (C) Number is singular and should have singular verb was. The correct use therefore, is, this year was more than.
14. (A) Unless conveys the negative sense and hence, it is not followed by not. The correct use is Unless you.
15. (D) To is a wrong preposition used in this sentence. The correct preposition is for. Hence for a week is the correct form.
16. (B) Everyone is followed by a singular verb. hence, the correct use is has been.
17. (C) No sooner is followed by the helping verb did, first form of the verb and than. Hence, the correct use is than.
18. (D) Here, the preposition from has been wrongly used. the correct use is since 1975.
19. (A) One of is followed by plural noun or pronoun. The correct from is One of my sisters.
20. (B) The principal clause is in the past tense, and therefore, the subordinate clause should be in the past tense too. The correct use is that he would fail.