RBI unchanged key policy rate
- The Reserve Bank of India keeps policy rates unchanged in its 33rd bi-monthly monetary policy review.
- Repo Rate – 6.50% (Unchanged)
- Reverse Repo Rate – 6.00% (Unchanged)
- CRR (Cash Reserve ratio) – 4% (Unchanged)
- Bank Rate – 7.00% (Unchanged)
- MSF (Marginal Standing Facility) – 7.00% (Unchanged)
- SLR (Statutory Liquidity Ratio) – 21.00% (as per RBI official website)
Downlaod Mobile Friendly notesInstall GK Digest Android App here
Irom Chanu Sharmila ended her 16-year-long fast
- Manipur’s ‘Iron Lady’ Irom Chanu Sharmila ended her 16 – year long fast. She wants Armed Forces Special Powers Act (AFSPA) to be revoked through political means in Manipur.
- She was on a hunger strike for 5757 days and was being force-fed through a nasal tube to keep her alive at a prison-turned-hospital in Imphal.
International Day of the World’s Indigenous Peoples observed
- The Int’l Day of the World’s Indigenous People is observed on August 9 each year to promote and protect the rights of the world’s indigenous population.
- The theme of this year is – “Indigenous Peoples’ Right to Education.”
Kalikho Pul, former Arunachal CM found dead
- Former Arunachal Pradesh Chief Minister Kalikho Pul found dead in his residence in Itanagar today.
- He was the acting Chief Minister of the north-eastern state of Arunachal Pradesh for a brief time. He belonged to Kaman Mishmi ethnic group.
Renowned Yoga guru TKV Desikachar passed away
- TKV Desikachar, a famous yoga guru, died following a brief illness in Chennai.
- He was a son of T Krishnamacharya, popularly acknowledged as the father of modern yoga.
- He founded Krishnamacharya Yoga Mandiram in 1976, a yoga learning institution where today about 1000 students visit every month to learn yoga.
Anand Sinha, former RBI Deputy Governor, appointed to the IDFC Bank board
- Former RBI Deputy Governor Anand Sinha has been appointed to the Board of IDFC Bank.
- The appointment of Sinha came after Vinod Rai resigned after serving on the board for a year.
Ibtihaj, the first U.S. athlete, to wear hijab at an Olympics
- Ibtihaj Muhammad became the only American ever to compete in the Olympics wearing a hijab.
- She is a fencer for Team USA, ranked eighth in the world in sabre.
- She beat Ukranian Olena Kravatska by 15-13 in her first match and beat France’s Cecilia Berder 15-12 in the round of 16.
Katie Ledecky sets world record to win gold in 400m freestyle
- American swimmer Katie Ledecky wins gold in the 400m freestyle and set a new world record at the Rio Olympics 2016.
- She took 3 minutes 56.46 seconds to beat Britain’s Jazmin Carlin who took 4 minutes 01.23 seconds to finish the race.
- She is the current world-record holder in the 400-meter, 800-meter and 1500-meter freestyle (long course).
Smart Prep Kit by Ramandeep Singh - Get here