Assam becomes the first state to ratify GST
- Assam has become the first state to ratify the Goods and Services Tax Constitutional Amendment Bill.
- The Parliament had earlier cleared the bill to usher in a uniform tax regime throughout the country, and it now awaits the ratification of at least 15 states to make it a law. The Centre seeks to roll-out the GST by April 1, 2017.
Download mobile friendly PDFsInstall GK Digest Android App here
RBI transfers Rs 65,876 crore surplus to government
- The Reserve Bank will transfer to the central government its surplus profit of Rs 65,876 crore which is marginally lower than the amount given last year.
- The approval to transfer the surplus was taken at the 559th meeting of the Central Board of the RBI, chaired by Governor Raghuram Rajan.
- The surplus is generated through RBI's investment activities, primarily in other sovereign bonds like that of the US T-bills, which is its single largest investment source.
India's first touch-and-feel garden for visually impaired
- A first-of-its-kind touch and feel garden for the visually impaired people in the country was inaugurated near Calicut University campus by Kerala Assembly Speaker P Sreeramakrishnan.
- · The garden has nearly 70 aromatic, medicinal and herbal plants brought from various parts the country.
Badal inaugurates first 'Sewa Kendra' in Punjab
- Punjab Chief Minister Parkash Singh Badal has inaugurated city’s first Sewa Kendra at Ladhewali today where people will be able to avail services under one roof.
- While Deputy Chief Minister Sukhbir Singh Badal has inaugurated Sewa Kendras at Mansa, Pathankot, Bholath and Amargarh.
NABARD sanctions Rs 26.06 crore to Punjab
- National Bank for Agriculture and Rural Development (NABARD) has sanctioned Rs 26.06 crore to the Punjab government.
- The project will reclaim 5,913 hectares of land in 87 villages of Muktsar and Fazilka districts.
Flipkart now on Kotak Mahindra Bank's mobile banking app
- The private sector lender Kotak Mahindra Bank (KMB) has announced the availability of Flipkart’s mobile site in its mobile banking app to gives the customer a secure in-app shopping environment.
- KMB has been expanding the scope of offerings on its mobile banking app, and this move further strengthens its mStore which already allows booking of air tickets, hotels, and bus tickets.
Birender Singh Yadav appointed as next HC to Ghana
- IFS officer of 1997 batch Birender Singh Yadav currently working as Joint Secretary in the Ministry, has been appointed as the next High Commissioner of India to the West Africa’s Republic of Ghana.
- Yadav will succeed K. Jeeva Sagar in Ghana.
12-day long Krishna Pushkar festival begins on grand note in Telangana & AP
- A 12-day long Krishna Pushkar festival began in Telangana and Andhra Pradesh on a grand note today. The festival comes once in every 12 years.
- Telangana government has made elaborate arrangements as over three crore people expected to turn up for a holy dip at various places in Mahabubnagar and Nalgonda districts on the banks of the sacred river.
Phelps 3rd to win Gold in the same event at 4 Olympics
- Michael Phelps won the gold medal in the 200m individual medley to become only the third athlete to win an individual Gold in the same event at four Olympics.
- This was Phelps 22nd Olympic Gold and 4th consecutive in 200m individual medley starting 2004.