Wrestler Sakshi Malik wins India’s first medal at Rio Olympics
- Freestyle wrestler Sakshi Malik won India’s first medal at the 2016 Rio Olympic Games by clinching the bronze in the 58kg category.
- With this victory she created history by becoming the first Indian woman wrestler to win an Olympic medal.
- In the playoff bout, Sakshi defeated Aisuluu Tynybekova of Kyrgyzstan by 8-5 points. With this she becomes only the fourth woman athlete from India to win an Olympic medal.
Download Mobile Friendly NotesInstall GK Digest Android App here
Union Power Ministry launches e-Trans & DEEP e-bidding portals for electronic bidding and e-reverse auction
- The Union Power Ministry has launched ‘e-Trans’ & ‘DEEP’ e-bidding web portals for electronic bidding and e-reverse auction of tariff-based electricity transmission projects.
- These projects were launched by Union Minister of State (IC) for Power, Coal, New & Renewable Energy and Mines Piyush Goyal in New Delhi.
BARC develops portable kit for detection of Chromium contamination of water
- The Bhabha Atomic Research Centre (BARC) has developed a kit for onsite determination of toxic Hexavalent Chromium Cr(VI) in drinking water. The detection kit is simple, user friendly, quick and cost effective kit for onsite determination of Cr(VI) in drinking water.
- It meets Indian standard IS10500 for drinking water as well as US Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) criterion.
China, ASEAN countries agree to form South China Sea framework
- China and ten member countries of Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN) have agreed to form a framework for a code of conduct to ease tension in disputed South China Sea.
- The agreement was reached between both sides during a meeting at Inner Mongolia in northern China held on August 15 and 16, 2016.
AR Rahman honoured with Tamil Ratna Award
- Oscar winning music composer AR Rahman was honoured with the Tamil Ratna Award by the New York based Tamil Sangam.
- He was honoured with this award after his concert at the United Nations General Assembly (UNGA) chamber to honour M.S. Subbulakshi, the doyen of Carnatic music.
Najma Heptulla appointed Manipur Governor
- President Pranab Mukherjee has appointed former Union Minister Najma Heptulla (76) as Governor of Manipur.
- She had served as Union Minority Affairs Minister in the Union Cabinet of NDA Government led by Prime Minister Narendra Modi. But she had resigned in July 2016.
SBI PO Smart Prep Kit by Ramandeep Singh - Get here