India, B'desh to jointly make films on 1971 war, Sheikh Mujibur
- India and Bangladesh will jointly produce a documentary on the 1971 War of Independence of Bangladesh.
- India will also facilitate the production of a "mega movie" by Bangladesh to mark the 100th birth anniversary of its Father of the Nation Bangabandhu Sheikh Mujibur Rahman in 2020.
Download exclusive mobile notesInstall GK Digest Android App here
UP announces Rani Laxmi Bai award for Sakshi Malik
- The UP govt will honour wrestler Sakshi Malik with the coveted Rani Laxmi Bai award.
- The award carries a cash prize of Rs. 3.11 lakh.
- The 23-year-old won the bronze in the 58-kg category wrestling.
Govt slaps Rs 2,500 crore penalty on Reliance Industries
- Govt has slapped an penalty of USD 380 million on Reliance Industries and its partners for producing less than targeted natural gas from KG-D6 fields.
- The total penalty for missing the target in 5 fiscal years beginning April 1, 2010, now stands at USD 2.76 billion.
Kerala Govt. allots Rs 10,000 cr for govt schools
- Kerala govt has earmarked Rs 10,000 crore for state-run and aided schools for the next 5 years.
- As part of the drive, around 60,000 new hi-tech class rooms will be set up in all govt and aided schools.
- About 1,000 schools will be elevated to international standards.
Former Fifa president and IOC member dies aged 100
- Former FIFA President Joao Havelange has passed away at Samartino Hospital, Rio de Janeiro. He was 100 years old.
- He was 7th head of international football’s governing body FIFA from 1974 to 1998.
Noted actor & director Gobind Tej passes away
- Noted actor and director Gobind Tej passed away.
- He received the Odisha State Film Award for Best Director for movies like ‘Kaberi’, ‘School Master’, ‘Tunda Baida’ and ‘Gare Sindura Dhare Luha.
Sindhu confirmed another medal for India, Narsingh banned for four years
- India’s PV Sindhu defeated Japan’s Nozomi Okuhara 21-19, 21-10 in the semifinals of the badminton women’s singles event to book her place in the gold medal match against Spain’s Carolina Marin.
- Meanwhile, Narsingh Yadav, who had tested positive for an anabolic steroid -- methandienone, was banned for four years by The Court of Arbitration for Sport.
- He was earlier given a reprieve by India’s National Anti-Doping Agency.