Patna Pirates wins 4th season of Pro Kabaddi League
- The Patna Pirates have won the fourth edition of STAR Sports-Pro Kabaddi League by defeating Jaipur Pink Panthers in the final match played at Hyderabad.
- Patna Pirates (champions of season-3) has became the only team to lift the trophy twice in the tournament’s history of four editions.
- The Puneri Paltan was placed at the third place in this edition after they defeated Telugu Titans.
Download exclusive notes on your mobileInstall GK Digest Android App here
Darren Lehmann signs on as Australia cricket coach to 2019
- Australian cricket team Coach Darren Lehmann (46-year) will continue as head coach of Australia until October 2019.
- He has received a two-year contract extension.
- Lehmann is a former Australian cricketer, he made his ODI debut in 1996 and Test debut in 1998.
IRS officer Rani Singh Nair takes over as new chairperson of CBDT
- Senior Indian Revenue Service (IRS) officer Rani Singh Nair took over as the new chairperson of Central Board of Direct Taxes (CBDT).
- Central Board of Direct Taxes is the policy-making body of the I-T department under the Union Finance Ministry.
IRCTC’s Food on Track app ties up with Mobikwik for e-cash payments
- Indian Railway Catering and Tourism Corporation (IRCTC) and Mobile payments company MobiKwik will power e-cash payments on IRCTC’s e-catering app, Food on Track.
- This app will allow passengers to book and get food from their preferred restaurants and delivered right at their train coaches.
Resolution to rename Madras HC as Tamil Nadu HC passed
- The Tamil Nadu Assembly unanimously passed a resolution to rename the Madras High Court as the Tamil Nadu High Court.
- The resolution on the matter was moved by Chief Minister J Jayalalitha as most of the High Courts established after the formation of new states based on linguistic lines have been named after the states only.
- The resolution was presented in light of the High Courts (Alteration of Names) Bill, 2016, which was introduced in Lok Sabha on 19 July 2016.
Luke Aikins became first person to jump from 25000 feet without a parachute or wing suit
- Luke Aikins, a skydiver with 18000 jumps, on 30 July 2016 jumped from 25000 feet (7620 meters) without a parachute or a wingsuit.
- With this he became the first man in the world history to dive from mid-tropospheric altitude and land safely without a parachute or a wing suit or anything else that might helped him stop or slow his descent.