Urjit Patel appointed as new RBI Governor
- Patel’s appointment has been made on the recommendation of the Financial Sector Regulatory Appointments Search Committee (FSRASC), headed by the Cabinet Secretary.
- Mr. Patel has been serving as Deputy Governor of the central bank for more than three years.
Install Digest Android App here
Download Mobile Friendly notes
P V Sindhu wins silver in women’s singles badminton
Ace shuttler of India Pusarla Venkata Sindhu (21-year) has won a silver medal in women’s singles badminton event at Rio Olympics, 2016.
- World No-1 Spain’s Carolina Marin (23-year) beat Sindhu 21-19, 21-12, 21-15 at the badminton final to take Gold medal.
- Sindhu is the first Indian female and first ever Indian shuttler to win an Olympic silver medal .
Usain Bolt wins gold in 4×100 relay
Jamaican Sprinter Usain Bolt bagged his third Gold in Rio Olympics 2016.
- Usain won the 4×100 meters relay and bid farewell to Olympics with 9 sprint Gold medals to his name.
- He combined with Asafa Powell, Yohan Blake and Nickel Ashmeade to lift gold in a time of 37.27 seconds.
Pt Shiv Kumar Sharma to get lifetime achievement award
Sursagar Society of Dilli Gharana has announced that Santoor maestro Pandit Shiv Kumar Sharma will be conferred upon with the annual Sangeet Martand Ustad Chand Khan Lifetime Achievement Award 2016.
- The society has been felicitating stalwarts of Indian classical music and dance with the award since 1986 to recognize their contribution towards enriching the art forms.
- Last year,the honour was conferred upon Kathak exponent Pandit Birju Maharaj.
DTC passengers will be able to pay bus fares using metro smart card
From October this year,Delhiites will be able to pay Delhi Transport Corporation (DTC) bus fares using their metro smart card .
- Passengers will be required to swipe their metro smart card through E-Ticketing Machines (ETM)to be installed inside the DTC buses.
- The corporation has conducted a successful trial using the smart card through ETM installed in a bus.
BRICS women Parliamentarian’s forum begins in Jaipur
A two-day meeting of BRICS women parliamentarian’s forum began in Jaipur,Rajasthan.
- Lok Sabha Speaker Sumitra Mahajan has inaugurated the meeting which will have different plenary sessions.
- Total 43 Parliamentarians from BRICS countries including 28 MPs from Lok Sabha and Rajya Sabha are participating in the meeting .where sustainable development goals are being discussed.
- BRICS is the grouping of Brazil, Russia, India, China and South Africa.
Forex reserve at record high of USD 365.82 billion
India’s foreign exchange reserves surged by USD 73.2 million to touch a life-time high of USD 365.82 billion in the last week ended.
- According to RBI press release, foreign currency assets increased by USD 81.6 million to USD 340.36 billion.
- Last year,the reserves had increased by USD 253.6 million to touch USD 365.75 billion.
- Gold reserves remained unchanged at USD 21.58 billion in the week.
India ranks 66th in 2016 Global Innovation Index
The Global Innovation Index (GII) 2016 (9th edition) has released jointly by Cornell University, INSEAD and the World Intellectual Property Organization (WIPO).
- India has jumped up by 15 spots (81th in 2015) ranked 66th in the 2016 Global Innovation Index (GII).
- The index ranks world economies since 2007 according to their innovation capabilities using more than 80 indicators.
SBI PO Smart Prep Kit by Ramandeep Singh - Get here