China's high speed train maker launches operation in India
- China largest high-speed train maker has announced the launch of its first joint venture (JV) plant in India with USD 63.4 million investment to manufacture and repair railway locomotives.
- The joint venture, named CRRC (China Railway Rolling Stock Corporation) Pioneer (India) Electric Co Ltd, is housed in Bavo Industrial District of Haryana between New Delhi and Bombay.
Download Exclusive Notes on your MobileInstall GK Digest Android App here
India pledges Rs 39.97 million for upgrading school in Nepal
India has pledged financial assistance worth 39.97 million Nepali Rupees for the construction of a new building and a hostel facility at a Sanskrit school in eastern Nepal.
· The project is being implemented through the Indian government's grant assistance under the small development programme.
AP announces Rs 3 cr cash award, Group I cadre job for Sindhu
- The Andhra Pradesh Cabinet has decided to felicitate the Olympic badminton star PV Sindhu with Rs. 3 crore reward in cash, a 1,000 sq yard site in the new capital city of Amaravati and a Group I cadre job in the State.
- The Cabinet also approved a Rs. 50 lakh cash reward to Pullela Gopichand, the former badminton star and coach of Sindhu.
Andhra Pradesh police launches pilot project on DNA profiling
- Andhra Pradesh Police has launched DNA Index System (DIS), the first-of-its-kind initiative that allows generation of DNA profiles from live samples like saliva and blood stains.
- The system uses the latest DNA technology tool called RapidHIT developed by IntegenX of USA.
- The DIS allows generation of DNA profiles using buccal swabs, blood stains, saliva and other live samples in less than two hours.
India ranks 39th in Asia Pacific on fixed broadband
- India ranks a low 39th in terms of fixed broadband adoption among Asia-Pacific countries, with just 1.3% of its citizens subscribing to such a service in 2015, according to a study by the United Nations Economic and Social Commission for Asia and the Pacific (ESCAP).
- Hong Kong, New Zealand, Japan, Macao, Australia and Singapore topped the list of 53 countries.
Maneka Gandhi Inaugurate Animal Birth Control Centre in Dehradun
- Union Women and Child Development (WCD) Minister Maneka Gandhi inaugurated the state’s first animal birth control centre (ABC) at Kedarpuram.
- The centre will take up birth control measures with stray dogs the population of which has been rising in the city and the state.
- The centres will be set up in Nainital and Mussoorie and other five municipal corporations in Haridwar, Haldwani, Kashipur, Haldwani and Roorkee.
- The Department of Urban Development has sanctioned Rs 2 crore to set up the centres.
Sunil Mittal re-appointed Chairman of Bharti Airtel for 5 yrs
- Sunil Bharti Mittal has been re-appointed as the Chairman of telecom giant Bharti Airtel for another 5 years, with effect from October 1, 2016.
- Mittal is the Founder of Bharti Enterprises, India's one of largest conglomerates with diversified interests in telecom, insurance, real estate, agri and food, besides other ventures.
Amul MD Sodhi appointed on board of India Post Payment Banks
- Amul Managing Director (MD) R S Sodhi has been appointed as independent director on the board of India Post Payment Banks (IPPB) - the payments bank arm of postal department.
- Sodhi is one of the 5 independent members to be appointed on the board IPPB, which is set to be operational in March 2017.
Yogeshwar Sangwan concurrently accredited as the Ambassador of India to Georgia
- Shri Yogeshwar Sangwan, presently Ambassador of India to the Republic of Armenia, has been concurrently accredited as the Ambassador of India to Georgia, with residence in Yerevan (Armenia).
- Georgia is a country in the Caucasus region of Eurasia. Located at the crossroads of Western Asia and Eastern Europe.
Former international umpire Subrata Banerjee dies
- Subrata Banerjee, the former international umpire, died at the age of 71 in Kolkata.
- Banerjee had a 15-year career at the international level, where he officiated in 13 ODIs.
- The former Test umpire, also stood in 64 first-class matches, besides serving as a television umpire in ODIs, and a reserve umpire in a Test between India and England in Mohali in 2001.
Smart Prep Kit by Ramandeep Singh - Get here