IOA chief Ramachandran awarded the Olympic Order
- Indian Olympic Association (IOA) President N. Ramachandran has been awarded the Olympic Order(established in May 1975).
- Olympic Order is the highest award of the Olympic Movement and is awarded for distinguished contributions to the Olympic Movement.
- The President of the International Olympic Committee (IOC) Thomas Bach presented the award to Ramachandran.
Download Mobile Friendly NotesInstall GK Digest Android App here
Kamal Haasan gets prestigious French honor
- Prominent film actor Kamal Haasan (birth name- Parthasarathy) will be awarded the prestigious Chevalier de L’Ordre Arts et Lettres(The Knight of the Order of Arts and Letters) by the French Government.
- He will be the second Tamil actor after the legendary Sivaji Ganesan to be chosen for the honor.
- The other recipients of the Chevalier Order from India include actors Amitabh Bachchan, Aishwarya Rai,Nandita Das and Shah Rukh Khan.
Telangana CM Announces Rs 50 Lakh Reward to Dipa Karmakar
- Telangana Chief Minister K Chandrasekhar Rao has announced cash prize of Rs. 50 lakh to Dipa Karmakar (from Tripura), who finished fourth in women’s gymnastics at Rio Olympics.
- Mr. Rao took the decision recognizing the need to encourage girls in all disciplines.
- Deepa created a record as the lone Indian woman to qualify for a gymnastic event in Olympics after 52 years.
Maneka Gandhi Inaugurate Animal Birth Control Centre in Dehradun
- Union Women and Child Development (WCD) Minister Maneka Gandhi has inaugurated the Uttarakhand’s first animal birth control center (ABC) at Dehradun.
- It will take up birth control measures with stray dogs the population of which has been rising in the city and the state.
- The centers will be set up in Nainital and Mussoorie and other municipal corporations in Haridwar, Haldwani, Kashipur and Roorkee.
P D Gupta appointed VC of Homi Bhabha National Institute
- Eminent scientist P D Gupta has been appointed as Vice-Chancellor (VC) of Homi Bhabha National Institute (HBNI), Mumbai.
- The HBNI is an aided institution of the Department of Atomic Energy and is a deemed university under the UGC Act.
Sunil Mittal re-appointed Chairman of Bharti Airtel
- Sunil Bharti Mittal has been re-appointed as the Chairman of Bharti Airtel for next 5 years with effect from October 1st ,2016.
- Bharti Airtel Limited is an Indian global telecommunications services company based in New Delhi, India.
- It operates in 18 countries across South Asia, Africa, and the Channel Islands.
Former international umpire Subrata Banerjee dies
- Former international umpire Subrata Banerjee (71-year) passed away in Kolkata.
- Banerjee had a 15-year career at the international level, where he officiated in 13 ODIs.
- He officiated in men’s and women’s international matches as well as in age group tournaments and stood in a women’s Test match.
Scientists for first time develop laser from fluorescent jellyfish proteins
- First-time Scientists have developed LASER (light amplification by stimulated emission of radiation) from fluorescent jellyfish proteins that were grown in bacteria.
- It represents a major advance breakthrough in so-called polariton lasers operating at room temperature.
- Polariton laser works by passing photons back and forth between excited molecules.
Brazil defeats Germany, wins first Olympic soccer gold
- Brazil has beaten Germany to bag their Olympic Men’s Football gold for the first time in its history.
- The pulsating Final ended 1-1 at the end of regulation time.
- In the shootout, Brazil defeated Germany 5-4.
Sania Mirza clinches world No 1 spot in women’s doubles after winning Cincinnati title
- Sania Mirza moved to the number one spot in the WTA doubles rankings after she teamed up with her new partner, Barbora Strycova.
- Together they beat Martina Hingis and Coco Vandeweghe 7-5, 6-4 in Cincinnati final.
- Mirza is set to take sole possession of the highest rank, according to the reports, after spliting from her former partner, Martin Hingis.
Smart Prep Kit by Ramandeep Singh - Get here