IOA chief Ramachandran awarded the Olympic Order
- Indian Olympic Association (IOA) President N. Ramachandran has been awarded the Olympic Order(established in May 1975).
- Olympic Order is the highest award of the Olympic Movement and is awarded for distinguished contributions to the Olympic Movement.
- The President of the International Olympic Committee (IOC) Thomas Bach presented the award to Ramachandran.
Download Mobile Friendly NotesInstall GK Digest Android App here
Kamal Haasan gets prestigious French honor
- Prominent film actor Kamal Haasan (birth name- Parthasarathy) will be awarded the prestigious Chevalier de L’Ordre Arts et Lettres(The Knight of the Order of Arts and Letters) by the French Government.
- He will be the second Tamil actor after the legendary Sivaji Ganesan to be chosen for the honor.
- The other recipients of the Chevalier Order from India include actors Amitabh Bachchan, Aishwarya Rai,Nandita Das and Shah Rukh Khan.
Telangana CM Announces Rs 50 Lakh Reward to Dipa Karmakar
- Telangana Chief Minister K Chandrasekhar Rao has announced cash prize of Rs. 50 lakh to Dipa Karmakar (from Tripura), who finished fourth in women’s gymnastics at Rio Olympics.
- Mr. Rao took the decision recognizing the need to encourage girls in all disciplines.
- Deepa created a record as the lone Indian woman to qualify for a gymnastic event in Olympics after 52 years.
Maneka Gandhi Inaugurate Animal Birth Control Centre in Dehradun
- Union Women and Child Development (WCD) Minister Maneka Gandhi has inaugurated the Uttarakhand’s first animal birth control center (ABC) at Dehradun.
- It will take up birth control measures with stray dogs the population of which has been rising in the city and the state.
- The centers will be set up in Nainital and Mussoorie and other municipal corporations in Haridwar, Haldwani, Kashipur and Roorkee.
P D Gupta appointed VC of Homi Bhabha National Institute
- Eminent scientist P D Gupta has been appointed as Vice-Chancellor (VC) of Homi Bhabha National Institute (HBNI), Mumbai.
- The HBNI is an aided institution of the Department of Atomic Energy and is a deemed university under the UGC Act.
Sunil Mittal re-appointed Chairman of Bharti Airtel
- Sunil Bharti Mittal has been re-appointed as the Chairman of Bharti Airtel for next 5 years with effect from October 1st ,2016.
- Bharti Airtel Limited is an Indian global telecommunications services company based in New Delhi, India.
- It operates in 18 countries across South Asia, Africa, and the Channel Islands.
Former international umpire Subrata Banerjee dies
- Former international umpire Subrata Banerjee (71-year) passed away in Kolkata.
- Banerjee had a 15-year career at the international level, where he officiated in 13 ODIs.
- He officiated in men’s and women’s international matches as well as in age group tournaments and stood in a women’s Test match.
Scientists for first time develop laser from fluorescent jellyfish proteins
- First-time Scientists have developed LASER (light amplification by stimulated emission of radiation) from fluorescent jellyfish proteins that were grown in bacteria.
- It represents a major advance breakthrough in so-called polariton lasers operating at room temperature.
- Polariton laser works by passing photons back and forth between excited molecules.
Brazil defeats Germany, wins first Olympic soccer gold
- Brazil has beaten Germany to bag their Olympic Men’s Football gold for the first time in its history.
- The pulsating Final ended 1-1 at the end of regulation time.
- In the shootout, Brazil defeated Germany 5-4.
Sania Mirza clinches world No 1 spot in women’s doubles after winning Cincinnati title
- Sania Mirza moved to the number one spot in the WTA doubles rankings after she teamed up with her new partner, Barbora Strycova.
- Together they beat Martina Hingis and Coco Vandeweghe 7-5, 6-4 in Cincinnati final.
- Mirza is set to take sole possession of the highest rank, according to the reports, after spliting from her former partner, Martin Hingis.
SBI PO Smart Prep Kit by Ramandeep Singh - Get here