Sindhu, Sakshi, Dipa, Jitu Rai to get Rajiv Gandhi Khel Ratna Award
- Olympic Medalists P V Sindhu (Badminton), Sakshi Malik (Wrestling), Jitu Rai (Shooter )and Dipa Karmakar (Gymnast) will get Rajiv Gandhi Khel Ratna Awards.
- 15- sports persons have been chosen for Arjuna Awards. They include Olympian Lalita Babar, Ajinkya Rahane (cricket), Shiva Thapa (boxer) and Vinesh Phogat (wrestler).
- Satti Geetha (Athlete), Sylvanus Dung Dung (hockey) and Rajendra Pralhad Shelke (Rower) will be conferred with Dhyanchand Award.
Download mobile friendly notesInstall GK Digest Android App here
Sunita Jain conferred with Vyas Samman award 2015
- Writer Sunita Jain has been conferred with the 25th Vyas Samman 2015.
- She will be awarded for her poetry collection “Kshama”.
- She portrays the fine emotions between poet Tulsidas and his wife Ratnavalli.
President launches Kolkata Akashvani Kendra’s Moitree Service in Bangla
- President Pranab Mukherjee has launched Kolkata Akashvani Kendra’s Moitree Service in Bangla for listeners in Bangladesh.
- It can be an important channel of communication between India and Bangladesh.
- The channel will cover whole Bangladesh and most of South East Asia.
Bronze statue of B R Ambedkar to be installed at Ambedkar memorial
- A Bronze statue of B R Ambedkar (350-feet tall) will be installed at the Ambedkar memorial at Indu Mill land in Mumbai.
- The statue will be called the ‘Statue of Equality‘.
- Earlier, Prime Minister Modi had performed the “bhumi-pooja” of this memorial in October 2015.
Telangana govt proposes to create 17 new districts
- Telangana government has proposed a draft notification to create 17 new districts in the state.
- The existing 10 districts will be reorganised on the basis of population and convenience to people to reach the district headquarters with an aim for easier administration and better development.
- The 17 new districts will be called Acharya Jayashankar, Hanamkonda, Jagtial, Kamareddy, Komaram Bheem, Kothagudem, Mahabubabad, Malkajgiri, Nagarkurnool, Nirmal, Peddapally, Sangareddy, Shamshabad, Siddipet, Suryapet, Wanaparthy and Yadadri.
Maharashtra signs MoU with centre, AAI to develop 10 airports
- Maharashtra Government has signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) with the Civil Aviation Ministry and Airports Authority of India (AAI) to develop 10 airports at Shirdi, Amravati, Gondia, Nashik, Jalgaon, Nanded, Solapur, Kolhapur, Ratnagiri and Sindhudurg.
- It is a part of the Centre’s Regional Connectivity Scheme.
- Centre will provide funds and also assist the Maharashtra Government in developing essential infrastructure for developing these airports.
Sania Mirza moves alone at top of WTA doubles rankings
- India’s Sania Mirza (29-year) took sole possession of the WTA doubles number one ranking after teaming up with Barbora Strycova to beat former partner Martina Hingis and Coco Vandeweghe (7-5, 6-4).
- Sania will move alone to the top of the ranking due to her Swess partner Martina Hingis ended their highly successful partnership last month.
- The dominant pair claimed total 14 titles (including three Grand Slams).
- They will still play in October’s year-end WTA Tour Championships in Singapore.
India win four-match test series against West Indies 2-0
- India has won the four-match test series against West Indies 2-0.
- Fourth test in Port of Spain was called off due to rain.
- Pakistan has now gained number one position (111 -points) in ICC Test rankings displacing India(110-points).
Gujarat to host 2016 Kabaddi World Cup
- The International Kabaddi Federation has announced that the 2016 Kabaddi World Cup will be hosted in Ahmedabad(Gujarat) between 7th to 22nd October 2016.
- Kabaddi World Cup event will see 12 Kabaddi teams around the world (India, USA, Canada, UK, Australia, Iran, Poland, Pakistan, Bangladesh, Korea, Japan and Kenya) representing all the five geographies of the Olympic Games.
Smart Prep Kit by Ramandeep Singh - Get here