Union govt launches online library “Sugamya Pustakalaya”
- Government has launched accessible E-Library “Sugamya Pustakalaya” for Divyang under Prime Minister’s Sugamya Bharat Abhiyan in New Delhi.
- Sugamya Pustakalaya is an online library for Divyang and houses publications across diverse subjects and languages in multiple accessible formats.
- Over 2 lakhs books are available in Accessible formats for people with visual impairment and other print disabilities.
Download Mobile Friendly ebooksInstall GK Digest Android App here
Pink colour envelop launches in Jharkhand to expedite judicial process
- A special pink colour envelop under speed post has been launched by the Chief Justice of Jharkhand High Court Justice Virender Singh with a purpose to expedite judicial process.
- All the notice and summons of the High Court will be served through this envelop, which would be a special category of Speed Post.
- Now, the entire process of the service could be tracked online.
Haryana: Sakshi malik as brand ambassador for Beti Bachao, Beti Padao campaign
- Chief Minister of Haryana Manohar Lal Khattar has announced Sakshi malik as brand ambassador for “Beti Bachao, Beti Padao campaign” in the state.
- Chief Minister awarded 2.5 crore rupees and Commendation Certificate to Rio bronze medal winner Sakshi Malik.
- He also presented a cheque of Rs. 10 lakh each to her coaches Mandeep and Kuldeep.
Andhra Pradesh CM felicitates PV Sindhu, Coach Pullela Gopichand
- Andhra Pradesh Chief Minister N Chandrababu Naidu has felicitated Olympic Silver medallist P V Sindhu and her Coach Pullela Gopichand at IGM stadium in Vijayawada.
- According to Chief Minister Naidu Rs.3 crore cash reward, 1,000 square yard house site (in Amaravathi) and Group one cadre job will be given to P V Sindhu and Rs.50 lakh to Gopichand.
- He also announced Rs.25 lakh cash reward and Group II cadre job to Olympian.
Singapore’s longest serving president Sellapan Ramanathan passes away
- Indian-origin Former President of Singapore Sellapan Ramanathan (92-year) passed away.
- He was the sixth and longest-serving (1999 to 2011) President of Singapore.
- Ramanathan was closely associated with the founding leader of Singapore Lee Kuan Yew.
- He was born in 1924 in the family of Indian Tamil descent in Straits Settlements of Singapore.
Former editor of ‘Mathrubhumi’ K K Sreedharan Nair passes away
- Former editor of ‘Mathrubhumi’ K K Sreedharan Nair (86-year) passed away in Kochi.
- Sreedharan Nair had retired from service on June 8, 2015.
- He was selected for the first Kelappaji memorial award instituted by Kerala Mahatmaji Samskarika Vedi in 2010.
Ashok Chawla to take over as YES Bank non-executive chairman
- Former Competition Commission of India (CCI) head Ashok Chawla will take charge as Non-Executive Part-time Chairman of the YES Bank with effect from October 30, 2016.
- He has been appointed for a period of three years (from the date of joining).
- Currently, Chawla is the Chairman of NSE and chairs the governing council of The Energy and Research Institute (TERI).
JNPT signs agreement with SBI, Bank of Singapore for ECB of $400mn
- India’s Jawaharlal Nehru Port has signed 400 Million US Dollar agreement with State Bank of India and Development Bank of Singapore for External Commercial Borrowing (ECB) in Navi Mumbai.
- The agreement has been signed by JNPT Chairman Anil Diggikar.
- The ECB of 400 Million Dollar will be primarily utilised for expansion of JNPT’s existing road network connecting to its port project.
- It will help JNPT to double its existing capacity.