Cristiano Ronaldo wins UEFA best player in Europe award
- Real Madrid’s forward Cristiano Ronaldo (31-year) has won UEFA Best Player in Europe (2015-16) for the second time after winning the Champions League and Euro 2016.
- He defeated Gareth Bale of Wales and Atletico Madrid’s France star Antoine Griezmann.
- Barcelona’s Lionel Messi was the winner of the award in 2014-15.
- Ronaldo scored 35 goals for Real Madrid in La Liga and 16 goals in Champions League competition in 2015.
Download exclusive mobile friendly notesInstall GK Digest Android App here
G Satheesh Reddy wins the first IEI-IEEE award
- Senior scientist of Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO) G. Satheesh Reddy has been awarded the first IEI-IEEE Award for Engineering Excellence-2015.
- The award is in recognition of his significant national contributions towards missiles and aerospace technologies.
Abhinav Bindra to head NRAI Review Committee on Rio Debacle
- The five-member review committee to probe the Indian shooters’ Rio Games debacle has been constituted by National Rifle Association of India (NRAI).
- The committee will be headed by India’s first and only individual Olympic gold-medallist Abhinav Bindra.
- Other members of the committee are former tennis player Manisha Malhotra, NRAI Secretary Rajiv Bhatia and two journalists.
- The committee will examine and identify causes behind shooting not securing any medals at the Rio Olympics.
- It will submit the report within a maximum period of four weeks.
DIPP to launch awareness campaign on IPR
- Department of Industrial Policy and Promotion (DIPP) Secretary Ramesh Abhishek has flagged off the Intellectual Property Rights (IPR) awareness campaign in New Delhi.
- It will be taken forward by Cell for IPR Promotion and Management (CIPAM) in collaboration with the Controller General of Patents, Designs and Trademarks (CGPDTM) and Industry Associations.
- CIPAM is a professional body under DIPP and it has already conducted a pilot round of awareness road shows across 18 states over June and July this year.
Meghalaya CM Sangma inducts M M Danggo & Ronnie V
- Chief Minister of Meghalaya Mukul Sangma has dropped deputy chief minister Rowell Lyngdoh and health minister A L Hek to accommodate former Assembly Speaker Martin Danggo and Government Chief Whip Ronnie V Lyngdoh.
- Today , their swearing-in will be held at the Raj Bhavan,Shillong.
- This is the first major reshuffle by Mr Sangma after the general elections two years ago.
Union Minister Maneka Gandhi launches POCSO e-box
- Union Minister of Women and Child Development Maneka Sanjay Gandhi has launched Protection of Children from Sexual Offenses (POCSO) e-box in New Delhi.
- POCSO e-box is a platform where a child victim of sexual abuse can report such cases online.
- It is initiative of National Commission for Protection of Child Rights for Direct online Reporting of Child Sexual Abuse.
India to host the first BRICS Film Festival from Sept. 2
- India will host the first five-day BRICS film festival which will begin from Sept. 2nd in New Delhi.
- The film festival will showcase an amalgamation of culture, films, song, dance and food of the 5-member countries including Brazil, Russia, India, China and South Africa.
- Around 20 films (four from each of the countries) will be scheduled to be screened in the competition section.
RBI asks banks to provide loans to women SHGs at 7% rate
- Reserve Bank of India (RBI) has asked banks to provide loans to woman self-help groups (SHGs) up to Rs 3 lakh at 7 per cent interest rate for the current financial year.
- All women self-help groups (SHGs) will be eligible for interest subvention under the “Deendayal Antyodaya Yojana”– National Rural Livelihoods Mission in 250 districts.
- SHGs availing capital subsidy under the Swarnajayanti Gram Swarozgar Yojana in their existing credit outstanding will not be eligible for benefit under this scheme.
Sri Lanka’s Tillakaratne Dilshan retires from ODIs
- Sri Lanka’s aggressive cricketer Tillakaratne Mudiyanselage Dilshan will quit international cricket after the ongoing limited overs series against Australia.
- According to Dilshan, he has decided to retire from the One-Day Internationals (ODI) after the third match in Dambulla (on Sunday) and will play the two Twenty20s and then he retire completely.
- Dilshan made his Test and ODI debut during the Sri Lankan cricket team’s tour to Zimbabwe in 1999.
- So far, he played 329 ODIs and amassed 10,248 runs that include 22 hundred.
- He is the fourth Sri Lankan and eleventh overall to score 10,000 ODI runs.