22nd edition of Delhi Book Fair begins
- 22nd edition of the Delhi Book Fair (9-day event) has begun at Pragati Maidan in New Delhi .
- It lays focus on the initiatives taken by the government for its Sarva Shiksha Abhiyaan to inculcate better reading habits among the younger generation.
- National campaigns like Make in India, Swachh Bharat Abhiyan, Skill India, Digital India and Startup India have found a place in the Theme Pavilion.
- The fair is being organised by Indian Trade Promotion Organisation (ITPO) in association with Federation of Indian Publishers(FIB).
- Students will be provided free entry to the fair provided they are in their uniforms.
Download exclusive mobile friendly notes
Install GK Digest Android App here
PM announces task force to prepare India for next three Olympics
Prime Minister Narendra Modi has announced to set up a task force to prepare action Plan for the next three Olympics Games (2020, 2024 and 2028).
- The task force will prepare a comprehensive action plan for effective participation of Indian sports persons in the coming Olympic Games.
- The 2020 Olympic Games will be held in Tokyo(Japan).
Japanese scientists detect rare deep-Earth tremor
Japanese Scientists studying earthquakes for the first time have detected a rare deep-Earth tremor, known as an S wave (secondary wave) microseism.
- National Research Institute for Earth Science and Disaster Prevention in Japan has announced scientists successfully detected not only P wave microseisms triggered by a severe and distant North Atlantic storm, known as a weather bomb, but also S wave microseisms.
- S waves are slow and move only through rock, not liquid.
World’s first self-driving taxis launched in Singapore
World’s first self-driving taxi service has launched by Singapore-based nuTonomy, an autonomous vehicle software startup in Singapore.
- With this, nuTonomy has become an entity in the world first to offer self-driving taxi rides to the public.
- Earlier, The Singapore government had given its approval nuTonomy to conduct the self-driving taxi trial for the public.
Pakistan to host 19th SAARC Summit this year
The 19th SAARC Summit will host by Pakistan in Islamabad on 9th and 10th November this year.
- Prime Minister of Pakistan Nawaz Sharif has invited the leaders of SAARC Member States and nine observers countries to attend the Summit.
- SAARC Summit Cell has been constituted to work with all stakeholders and concerned authorities in Pakistan.
Tokyo International Conference on African Development begins in Nairobi
6th Tokyo International Conference on African Development (TICAD) begins in Nairobi (Kenyan).
- In the two-day,summit African heads of State and VIPs from around the world will participate.
- Japan Government, World Bank, the United Nations and the African Union will host the summit.
Karnataka Bank launches UPI app KBL-SMATRz
Karnataka Bank MD and CEO P Jayarama Bhat has launched a mobile application KBL-SMARTz built on the unified payments interface (UPI) platform of the National Payments Corporation of India (NPCI).
- Unified payments interface (UPI) interface is designed to enable customers across UPI member banks to pay and collect money from their smartphones without entering any bank account information.
BCCI submits 1st Compliance Report to Lodha Panel panel
The BCCI Secretary Ajay Shirke has submitted the first Compliance Report to the Supreme Court-appointed Justice RM Lodha Panel in regards to the implementation of reforms as per the apex court verdict.
- The Lodha Panel wants 11 reforms to be implemented by the 15th October.
- Earlier, BCCI has filed a Review Petition with the Supreme Court seeking recusal of Chief Justice of India TS Thakur from the case.