SAARC Immigration Authorities begins in Islamabad
- The 7th meeting of SAARC Immigration Authorities meeting has begun in Islamabad (Pakistan).
- Pakistan’s Director General (DG) Immigration and Passports Usman A. Bajwa has been unanimously elected as Chairman.
- The meeting will formulate recommendations to be presented in the meetings of Home Secretaries and Interior Ministers during the conference.
Download exclusive notes on your mobileInstall GK Digest Android App here
India to host international summit on tobacco-control
- India will host a global summit to eliminate the illicit trade of tobacco products in which around 180 countries delegates will participate.
- The summit is scheduled from November 7th to 12th at the Indian Exposition Mart in Noida.
- This will be the 7th session of the Conference of the Parties to the WHO Framework Convention on Tobacco Control .
Odisha govt to recruit transgenders as jail warders
- The Odisha government has decided to recruit transgender persons as jail warders as per the directive of the Supreme Court.
- A letter to this effect has been sent to the Odisha Subordinate Staff Selection Commission to take necessary steps in this regard.
- First time the state government will mention the third gender as a separate category in any of the recruitment process.
Professor Emeritus Braj B Kachru passes away
- Indian-American Professor Emeritus of Linguistics Braj B Kachru (84- year) has passed away in Urbana.
- He was a Jubilee Professor Emeritus of Linguistics, faculty of Liberal Arts and Sciences at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign.
ICICI Bank reduces lending rate by 0.05%
- ICICI Bank has announced 0.05% reduction in its marginal cost of funds based lending rate (MCLR).
- The overnight Marginal Cost of Funds based Lending Rate (MCLR) will be 8.90% under the revised rate structure which is effective from today.
- The one-year MCLR has moved down to 9.10%.
Bhaskar Khulbe appointed Secretary to Prime Minister Narendra Modi
Senior IAS officer of West Bengal cadre Bhaskar Khulbe (1983-batch) has been appointed as secretary to Prime Minister Narendra Modi.
- The Appointments Committee of Cabinet has approved his appointment.
- Earlier, He was Additional Secretary in Prime Minister’s Office.
- He will look after work related to Cabinet Secretariat and thrust areas of the government.
Novak Djokovic wins fourth Rogers Cup championship
- World No.1 men’s singles tennis player Novak Djokovic has won fourth Rogers Cup championship.
- He defeated Kei Nishikori (6-3, 7-5 ) in the final for his 66th career title.
- The events alternate from year to year between the cities of Montreal and Toronto.
Simona Halep wins Rogers Cup women’s single
- Romanian tennis player Simona Halep has won the Rogers Cup in Montreal.
- She defeated Madison Keys (7-6, 6-3 ) in the final of Rogers Cup.
- She improved her career record against Keys to 3-1, having beaten the American over three sets in their most recent meeting at Wimbledon last month.
Wrestler Narsingh Yadav gets NADA’s clean chit in doping case
- The National Anti-Doping Agency (NADA) has given clean chit to Indian wrestler Narsingh Yadav in the doping case.
- NADA disciplinary panel exonerated him from charges of violating anti-doping rules of NADA.
Smart Prep Kit by Ramandeep Singh - Get here