Pushpa Kamal Dahal elected as new Prime Minister of Nepal
- Former Maoist rebel chief Pushpa Kamal Dahal (61-year) also known as Prachanda has been elected as the new Prime Minister (24th) of Nepal.
- Earlier, Prime Minister K P Oli resigned on July 24, triggering a political turmoil in Nepal.
- According to Speaker Onsari Gharti, he won 363 votes out of the 573 cast in the 595-member parliament.
Download exclusive notes on your Android ApplicationInstall GK Digest Android Application here
Anant Maheshwari appointed as President of Microsoft India
- Technocrat Anant Maheshwari has been appointed as the President of Microsoft India.
- He will succeed Bhaskar Pramanik as the head of Microsoft in India.
- He will join Microsoft India in September 2016 and will take over operations of the company from January 2017.
Nobel Prize-winning chemist Ahmed Zewail passes away
- The Egyptian- born Nobel-winning scientist Ahmed Zewail (70-year) has passed away in the United States.
- He won the Nobel Chemistry Prize in 1999 for his pioneering work in femtochemistry, the study of chemical reactions in ultra-short time scales.
- He was the first Arab Scientist to win the Nobel Prize.
Swiss tennis star Wawrinka drops out of Rio Olympics
- World number four Swiss tennis player Stan Wawrinka to quit the Rio Olympic Game.
- Double Grand Slam winner Wawrinka won a gold medal in men’s doubles with Federer at Beijing 2008 Olympic Games.
Parliament passes Institutes of Technology (Amendment) Bill, 2016
- The Parliament has passed the Institutes of Technology (Amendment) Bill- 2016 to set up six new Indian Institutes of Technology (IITs).
- The new IITs will be established in Palakkad (Kerala), Tirupati (Andhra Pradesh), Goa , Dharwar (Karnataka), Bhilai (Chhattisgarh) and Jammu (Jammu and Kashmir).
- The Bill seeks to amend the Institutes of Technology Act, 1961 to add six new IITs as institutions of national importance.
Ten ministers sworn in to Arunachal cabinet
- Ten Ministers were sworn in to Chief Minister Pema Khandu’s new Council of Ministers at Raj bhavan in Itanagar (Arunachal Pradesh).
- The Oath of office and secrecy was administered by Governor Tataghata Roy.
- The ten Cabinet Ministers are Tanga Byaling, Nabam Rebia, Wangki Lowang, Rajesh Tacho, Tapang Taloh, Jomde Kena, Kumar Waii, Kamlung Mossang, Takam Pario and Hunchun Ngandam.
Mamata govt.decides to rename West Bengal as ‘Bengal’
- The West Bengal Cabinet took up a proposal to rename the state as “Bengal” in English and “Bango” or “Bangla” in Bengali.
- A special session of the Assembly will be convened on 26th August to pass a resolution to this effect.
- The changing of the name will require approval of the Parliament.
Rajasthan becomes first state to approve sewage & waste water policy
- Rajasthan has become the first state to approve sewage and waste water policy.
- The policy was approved by the State Cabinet meeting presided by Chief Minister Vasundhara Raje in Jaipur.
- All district head quarters, heritage cities and cities which have more that one lack population will be included in this policy.
Monthly honorarium of ASHAs doubled from Rs 500 to 1,000 : Haryana
- Monthly honorarium of Accredited Social Health Activists (ASHAs) in Haryana has been doubled from Rs. 500 to Rs. 1,000.
- An additional amount of 41.73 crore rupees has been approved on account of honorarium for ASHAs and incentives of Auxiliary Nurse Midwives (ANMs).
SBI PO Smart Prep Kit by Ramandeep Singh - Get here