Shubha Mudgal to get Rajiv Gandhi National Sadbhavana Award
- Well-known Indian singer of Hindustani classical music Shubha Mudgal will be awarded the Rajiv Gandhi National Sadbhavana Award for her outstanding contribution towards the promotion of communal harmony, peace and goodwill.
- The award will be presented to Mudgal at a special ceremony on 20th August (birthday of Rajiv Gandhi) at Jawahar Bhawan auditorium.
Download Mobile Friendly PDFs on your Android PhoneInstall GK Digest Android Application here
Rajya Sabha passes The Constitution GST Bill- 2014
- The Rajya Sabha has passed The Constitution -GST Bill, 2014 ((122nd- Amendment) to introduce the goods and services tax (GST).
- After passing the bill, India took major step in structural indirect taxation reform and paved way for the concept of one nation, one tax.
- The Bill will again go back to the Lok Sabha to incorporate the few amendments approved by the Rajya Sabha.
Tunisia’s President names Youssef Chahed as new PM
- Tunisia’s President Beji Caid Essebsi has named Youssef Chahed (41-year) as new the Prime Minister.
- Earlier, Prime Minister Habib Essid lost vote of no-confidence because of his handling of economic reforms and security.
Former Ferrari driver Chris Amon passes away
- Former Ferrari driver Chris Amon (73- year) has passed away after a battle with cancer.
- Amon was the part of a well-known trio of New Zealand drivers competing in Formula One in the 1960s and early 70s alongside Bruce McLaren and Denny Hulme.
- He was born in Bulls and learned to drive at the age of six and taught by a farm worker on the family farm.
Angela Ruggiero to head IOC Athletes’ Commission
- American ice hockey Olympic champion Angela Ruggiero has been elected as the new chair of the international Olympic committee (IOC)’s Athletes’ commission.
- She will be replace Claudia Bokel.
- Earlier, she was serving as Vice-Chair of the IOC Athletes’ Commission.
BCCI appoints Markandey Katju to interact with Lodha panel
- The Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI ) has appointed former Supreme Court judge Markandey Katju as the head of a four member legal panel to help the Board understand the implications of the Justice Lodha Committee reforms.
- This panel will be a single point interface for the BCCI to interact with the Justice Lodha Committee.
- Justice Markandey Katju is the former Chairman of Press Council of India.
RBI launches ‘Sachet’ portal to rein in illegal money deposits
- The Reserve Bank of India (RBI) Governor Raghuram Rajan has launched a web portal ’Sachet- www.sachet.rbi.org.in’ to curb illegal collection of deposits.
- A website from which the members of public would be able to obtain information regarding entities that are allowed to accept deposits, lodge complaints and also share information regarding illegal acceptance of deposits by unscrupulous entities