2nd National Handloom day has celebrated
- The second National Handloom Day has been celebrated all over the country, on August 7. As the first National Handloom Day was celebrated last year and Hon’ble Prime Minister was the Chief Guest in the main event held in Chennai on 7th August, 2015.
- But this time, the main function was held in Varanasi in which Sant Kabir Awards and National Handloom Awards has been presented by the Union Textiles Minister Smt. Smriti Zubin Irani who was the Chief Guest on the occasion.
Download Mobile Friendly NotesInstall GK Digest Android App here
Telangana signs MoU with ISRO for water resources info system
- Telangana Irrigation Department has signed a memorandum of understanding with the Indian Space Research Organisation for setting up a Telangana Water Resources Information System (TWRIS) on the ‘Bhuvan’ web portal.
- The main aim is to capture every field-level irrigation network including dams/barrages, anicuts, main and field channels, etc. and mark every irrigation structure on satellite visualisation tool Bhuvan (similar to Google Earth). The project, likely to be completed in one year.
Modi Launches PMO App At MyGov Anniversary Event
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi has launched the new PMO app at a function organised by MyGov in New Delhi. The app would correspond to the website of the Prime Minister’s Office (PMO).
- The app is developed by a team of young engineering students from Delhi who has won the contest to develop the app.
New head for BHEL Corporate R&D
- KK Khurana, General Manager in-charge, has taken over as Head of BHEL Corporate R&D with effect from August 4, 2016.
- Prior to the elevation as GM I/C of Corporate R&D, he was involved in Project Engineering Management (PEM), Technical service among other areas in the company.
Kathakali dance troupe in Egypt for first time
- A nine-member Kathakali dance troupe has performed first time in Egypt.
- The Kathakali dance troupe was a part the 14th Summer Festival organized by Bibliotheca Alexandrina.
- And as part of their tour, the Indian dance troupe will performe in different places including Port Said Cultural Palace, Ismailia Cultural Palace.
Taxis in Dubai to promote Kerala Tourism
- Kerala Tourism has rolled out a promotional campaign in Dubai targeting Arab travellers and showcasing the state's backwaters and waterfalls on taxis plying in the bustling metropolis, with the onset of the outbound tourism season in the Middle East.
- In this regards, as many as 200 Kerala-branded taxis will ferry the message of 'A Faraway Land Four Hours Away' - with eye-catching visuals featuring hill stations, backwaters, waterfalls and also Ayurvedic therapies - through the streets of Dubai, the throbbing heart of the UAE.
CSS Corp appoints Manish Tandon as its new CEO
- CSS Corp, a global Technology Support company, has appointed Manish Tandon as its new Chief Executive Officer of the company. He will be inducted as a whole time director of the board and as CEO later this quarter.
- He will take over from "Tiger" TG Ramesh, the current CEO who now transitions to a strategic advisor role as a non-executive director on the board.
‘Vietnam Veedu' Sundaram passes away
- Veteran South Indian film director and scriptwriter “Vietnam Veedu’ Sundaram has passed away in Chennai. He was 76 years old.
- He also acted in a few films and directed a lot of teleserials.
SBI PO Smart Prep Kit by Ramandeep Singh - Get here