Manjula Chellur named new Chief Justice of the Bombay high court
Justice Manjula Chellur has been named the new Chief Justice of the Bombay high court.
- Justice Manjula Chellur was the first female Chief Justice of the Calcutta High Court.
- With this appointment, she becomes second female Chief Justice of the Bombay high court.
Download Mobile Friendly NotesInstall GK Digest Android App here
Nagaland Govt. announced 33% reservation to women in Urban Local Bodies
The Nagaland Chief Minister TR Zeliang had announced to grant 33% reservation to women in Urban Local Bodies.
- The decision was announced during the State Level Watershed Conference held in Kohima.
Times Internet & HDFC Bank join hands to launch co-branded Debit Card
Times Internet join hands with HDFC Bank to launch co-branded card.
- The card marries the concept of Times Points, an online loyalty product with over 18 million users, and Times Card, a co-branded credit card currently used by 3.5 lakh customers that was launched in 2013 by Times Internet in association with HDFC Bank
Nawazuddin won best actor award at IFF Melbourne
Nawazuddin Siddiqui won the best actor award at Indian Film Festival of Melbourne 2016.
- He won the award for his role of psycho serial killer in “Raman Raghav 2.0″.
- On other side, Sonam Kapoor won the best actress award for her performance in Neerja Bhanot’s biopic, “Neerja.
Smart Ganga City programme launched in 10 cities
Union Ministers M. Venkaiah Naidu and Uma Bharti today jointly launched ‘Smart Ganga City’ programme in 10 cities.
- The objective of the programme is to set up Sewage Treatment Plants (STPs) and improve drainage network there on hybrid annuity mode on public private partnership basis.
- The list of the cities/ towns where the programme will be implemented in the first phase includes; Haridwar, Rishikesh, Mathura, Varanasi, Kanpur, Allahabad, Lucknow, Patna, Sahibganj and Barrackpore.
Ma Long becomes fifth male Grand Slam winner at Rio Olympics
China’s table tennis champion Ma Long became the fifth male player to complete the Grand Slam.
- He defeated China’s Zhang Jike by 4-0 to grab the gold medal in Table Tennis at Rio Olympics.
- He also becomes second male player ever to be the defending champion of all three majors at the same time.
South Indian Bank, SBI Card to launch co-branded credit card
South Indian Bank and SBI Card, announced the launch of co-branded credit cards for the customers of South Indian Bank.
- With this partnership both South Indian Bank and SBI Card will launch two variants of credit card on VISA platform, namely South Indian Bank Platinum SBI Card and South Indian Bank Simply SAVE SBI Card.