O.P. Kohli sworn in as MP Governor
Senior Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) leader Om Prakash Kohli has been sworn in as the new governor (26th) of Madhya Pradesh(MP).
- Kohli is also the Gujarat Governor has been given additional charge of Madhya Pradesh after Ram Naresh Yadav’s tenure got over.
- Acting Chief Justice of Madhya Pradesh High Court Rajendra Menon administered the oath at a function in Raj Bhawan at Bhopal.
Download mobile firendly notesInstall GK Digest Android App here
Syndicate Bank appoints Director
Syndicate bank has nominated Jayant Purushottam Gokhale as the part-time non-official director under the chartered accountant category for a period of 3 years.
- Gokhale appointment is subject to his resignation from the board of LIC Nomura Mutual Fund Asset Management Company, before joining the bank’s board.
ASEAN Summit 2016 concludes in Vientiane, Laos
The 28th & 29th Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN) Summit concluded at Vientiane, Laos.
- The theme for the 2016 summit was Turning Vision into Reality for a Dynamic ASEAN Community.
- Prime Minister of the Lao PDR H.E. Thongloun Sisoulith was the Chairperson of the summit.
- The Summit has been attended by the leaders of the 10-member Association of Southeast Asian Nations (Indonesia, Malaysia, Philippines, Singapore, Thailand, Brunei Darussalam, Viet Nam, Lao PDR, Myanmar and Cambodia).
Govt. approves subsidized chopper service for JK, Himachal
The Union Government has approved subsidized helicopter services in 10 sectors of Jammu and Kashmir (J&K) and Himachal Pradesh(HP) to connect inaccessible destinations.
- Officers of the State Government on tour, Income tax payers or tourists will not be eligible for subsidized fares.
- The operator of the services will be selected by the open tender process by the State Government.
- The operation of helicopter services in the State will continue till March, next year.
Mehbooba launches “CM Scooty Scheme” for girls in J&K
Jammu and Kashmir (J&K) Chief Minister Mehbooba Mufti has launched the ‘CM Scooty Scheme‘ in the state to encourage girls to go to colleges for higher studies.
- Under CM Scooty Scheme 300 girls of two colleges were distributed scooters.
- Eligibility for a scooty was based on a minimum percentage of 65% and an annual family income of Rs. 4 lakh.
Govt launches registration module for Indian students studying abroad
The Union Government has launched Students Registration Module on madad.gov.in for Indian students studying abroad.
- This registration will be of immense help, in case of any emergency.
- Currently, there is no data available on the Indian students studying abroad.
NASA launches first mission to collect samples from asteroid
The US space agency NASA (National Aeronautics and Space Administration) has launched its first mission to collect samples from an asteroid and return them to Earth in hopes of learning more about the origins of life.
- The spacecraft OSIRIS-REx (unmanned) blasted off from Cape Canaveral Air Force Station.
- The 800 million dollar mission will travel for two years on a journey to Bennu.
- OSIRIS-REx’s main goal is to gather dirt and debris from the surface of the asteroid and return it to Earth by 2023 for further study.
Anjum Chopra becomes first Indian woman to be honoured with MCC life membership
Former Indian women’s cricket team captain Anjum Chopra (39-year) has been awarded an honorary life membership of the Marylebone Cricket Club (MCC).
- Anjum has honoured along with former men’s team stalwarts Zaheer Khan and Virender Sehwag.
- She is the first Indian woman cricketer to get the prestigious life membership of MCC.
Defending champion Serena knocked out of US Open
In the US Open, top seed Serena Williams was stunned by 10th seeded Karolina Pliskova of Czech Republic 6-2 7-6 (7-5).
- Pliskova will now face German second seed Angelique Kerber in the women’s singles final.
- Now, Serena lost her chance to win 23rd Major title and move past Steffi Graff (Germany).
Smart Prep Kit by Ramandeep Singh - Get here