Stan Wawrinka wins 2016 US Open men’s title.
- Swiss professional tennis player Stan Wawrinka (31-year) has defeated world no 1 and defending champion Novak Djokovic (Serbia) to claim a third Grand Slam title at the US Open tennis tournament 2016.
- In the final,Wawrinka secured a 6-7 (1/7), 6-4, 7-5, 6-3 victory over Djokovic.
- This is his third major title (Australian Open-2014, French Open-2015 and US Open-2016).
Download exclusive IBPS PO NotesInstall GK Digest Android App here
Jamie Murray and Bruno Soares win 2016 US Open Men’s Doubles title
- Jamie Murray (Britain) and Bruno Soares (Brazil) has won the 2016 US Open Men’s Doubles title.
- They defeated Spain’s Pablo Carreno Busta and Guillermo Garcia-Lopez 6-2,6-3.
Army Green beat Neroca FC 6-5 to lift Durand Cup
- Army Green have won the Durand Cup Football Title 2016.
- In the final of Asia’s oldest football tournament in New Delhi, Army Green defeated Neroca FC 6-5 via penalty shootouts.
- Army Green serves as one of the football teams for the Indian Army.
India wins 4 golds in ITTF junior championships
- India has won four golds, one silver and five bronze medals in the International Table Tennis Federation Junior and Cadet Open Championships (ITTF)-2016 at Indore(Madhya Pradesh).
- Taipei topped the table claiming five Gold.
- India won three singles gold medals through Varuni Jaiswal, Manav Thakkar and Ishhita Gupta.
Subramanian Swamy awarded ‘Tamil Ratna’ in United States
- BJP leader and Rajya Sabha MP Subramanian Swamy has been honoured with ‘Tamil Ratna’ award by a body of Tamil diaspora in New York (USA)
- Swamy has honoured for fighting corruption and working for more transparency in the functioning of the government.
- Earlier, Tamil Ratna awardees include Oscar-winning composer AR Rahman and movie director Bharathi Raja.
Guru Kelucharan Mohapatra Award 2016 awarded to Jharana Das
- Odisha Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik has honored Renowned Odia cine actress Jharana Das and Odishi dance guru Kishore Kumar Mohanty with the prestigious Guru Kelucharan Mohapatra Award 2016 for lifetime achievement.
- The award, given in memory of the revered Guru Kelucharan Mohapatra, carries a cash prize of Rs. one lakh and a citation.
Pakistan appoints Wasim Bari as manager of national cricket team
- Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB) has been appointed former Test captain Wasim Bari (68-years) as the senior men’s team’s manager for the forthcoming series against West Indies in the UAE.
- He will take over managerial duties from Intikhab Alam.
- Bari’s tenure will begin with the T20I assignment against West Indies(starting from September 23).
CBDT launches e-nivaran to resolve I-T grievances
- The Central Board of Direct Taxes (CBDT) has launched “e-nivaran” (electronic resolution) facility for online redressal of taxpayers’ grievances related to refunds, ITRs and PAN issues.
- Its link will be available on the e-filing portal “http://incometaxindiaefiling.gov.in” of the department.
Govt. launches toll-free number for postal complaints
- The Union government has launched a toll-free number 1924 to register postal complaints.
- The service will be initially operational for 12 hours on working days between 8 AM to 8 PM in Hindi, Malayalam, and English.
- TheDepartment of Personnel (DoP) will set up a nodal officer in all postal circles who will handle public complaints.
SBI PO Smart Prep Kit by Ramandeep Singh - Get here