Devendra Jhajharia wins gold medal at 2016 Rio Paralympics
- India’s Devendra Jhajharia (36-year) has won Gold Medal in the men’s javelin throw, F46 event at the Rio Paralympics 2016.
- He becomes only the second gold medallist at the Paralympics for the country.
- Earlier, Jhajharia won gold in the javelin event at the 2004 Athens Paralympics.
- He improved his own 2004 record of 62.15 metres with a world-record throw of 63.97 metres.
- Devendra Jhajharia was awarded the Arjuna award in 2004 and the Padma Shri in 2012.
Download IBPS PO Notes for FreeInstall GK Digest Android App here
Track Asia Cup cycling to begin in New Delhi
- India is hosting the Track Asia Cup cycling competition at the Indira Gandhi Sports Complex velodrome in New Delhi.
- The event has been recognised by the International Cycling Federation.
- India would be fielding a strong 29-member contingent in the competition.
- More than 150 athletes participate from 11 other countries (Iran, the United Arab Emirates (UAE), Kazakhastan, Hong Kong, Uzbekistan, Nepal, Sri Lanka, Taiwan, Macau, Malaysi,Pakistan).
14 September: National Hindi Divas
- The National Hindi Divas is being celebrated on 14th September every year to mark adaptation of Hindi language as the official language of India by the Constituent Assembly of India on 14 September 1949.
- The Rajbhasha awards were instituted by the Department of Official Language of Union Home Ministry to recognize the excellent contribution of Ministries, Departments and Nationalized Banks in the field of Hindi.
Andhra Pradesh becomes second state to achieve 100% electrification
- Andhra Pradesh has achieved 100% household electrification after Gujarat, as per a report published by JM Financials based on a national level survey.
- About 35% rural households in states like Uttar Pradesh, Madhya Pradesh, Bihar, Odisha and Assam still lacked access to power supply.
- Chief Minister N Chandrababu Naidu proposed investment of Rs. 20,000 crore over five years will strengthen electricity distribution systems.
BRICS urbanisation forum meet begins in Vishakhapatnam
- The BRICS Urbanisation Forum Meet (3rd edition) has started in Visakhapatnam, Andhra Pradesh.
- The three days meet has been inaugurated by Chief Minister of Andhra Pradesh N. Chandrababu Naidu in the presence of M. Venkaiah Naidu (Urban Development Minister).
- The conference will also discuss how to increase the productivity,make a separate urban finance system and the creation of employment opportunities.
Aleksander Ceferin elected new UEFA President
- Slovenian lawyer, Aleksander Čeferin (48-years) has been elected as the new President of the European football governing body, UEFA,at UEFA’s Extraordinary Congress.
- He replaces banned former chief Michel Platini.
- He head of the Slovenia FA scored a decisive 42-13 votes victory over Dutchman Michael Van Praag at election congress of the European football federation in Athens.
Anoop K Sharma new CMD of Shipping Corporation of India
- Anoop Kumar Sharma has taken the charge of the Chairman & Managing Director (CMD) of Shipping Corporation of India (SCI) for a period of three years.
- The Shipping Corporation of India is a Government of India Public Sector Enterprise with its headquarters in Mumbai.
- SCI operates and manages vessels that service both national and international lines.
Sri Sri Ravi Shankar to be awarded by Jewish rights group
- Spiritual leader and The Art of Living founder Sri Sri Ravi Shankar will be conferred with Simon Wiesenthal Centre’s highest honour ‘the Simon Wiesenthal Humanitarian Laureate’.
- He will be felicitated for promoting human dignity, interfaith, relations and tolerance among people.
- The award ceremony will be held on 21st September in New Delhi .
Indian-origin scientist bags Lemelson-MIT Prize
- An Indian-origin scientist Ramesh Raskar (from Nasik) has bagged the prestigious Lemelson-MIT Prize worth 5 lakh US dollars for his groundbreaking inventions to create solutions to improve lives globally.
- He has founded of the Camera Culture research group at the MIT Media Lab and an Associate Professor of Media Arts and Sciences
- He has more than 75 patents to his name and having written more than 120 reviewed publications.