Alka Sirohi appointed as new UPSC chairman
- The President Pranab Mukherjee has appointed Retd. IAS – officer of MP Cadre Smt. Alka Sirohi (UPSC-Member) as the chairman of Union Public Service Commission (UPSC).
- She will replace Deepak Gupta (65-year) who demits office on 20th September 2016.
- Sirohi will be in office till the completion of her term as a member on January 3, 2017 (or till further orders).
Download exlusive notes on your mobileInstall GK Digest Android App here
United Russia party wins parliamentary election
- President Vladimir Putin’s ruling United Russia Party has won the parliamentary election with more than 54% of the votes.
- According to the Central Election Commission Communist Party and Liberal Democratic Party with about 14 % each are in second and third place.
- Yesterday,Elections to the State Duma were held in a split system, 225 members of parliament were elected by party tickets, while the other 225 were elected in one-seat constituencies.
Angela Merkel’s party CDU losses in Berlin state elections
- Germany Chancellor Angela Merkel’s party CDU (Christian Democratic Union of Germany) has lossed in Berlin state elections.
- It has been ousted from the state governing coalition with the centre-left Social Democrats.
- The anti-migrant party “Alternative for Germany” made gains and will enter the state parliament for the first time.
First Indian music & dance festival starts in Sydney
- Union Tourism and Culture Minister Mahesh Sharma has inaugurated the 10-week first Indian music and dance festival in Sydney,Australia.
- The festival, an initiative of Indian government supported by the Australian side, will run across seven cities including Melbourne, Perth, Brisbane, Canberra and Adelaide.
HRD Minister inaugurates Super Computer PARAM-ISHAN at IIT Guwahati
- Union Human Resource Development minister Prakash Javadekar has inaugurated the super computer PARAM ISHAN at IIT Guwahati campus.
- PARAM ISHAN is the fastest and most powerful computer in North East, Eastern and Southern region.
- PARAM ISHAN has been jointly developed by IIT Guwahati and Centre for Development of Advanced Computing(C -DAC).
Malayalam critic M Leelavathi bags Mohanan Suvarna Mudra Award
- Noted Malayalam critic Dr. M Leelavathi has been chosen for the prestigious N Mohanan Suvarna Mudra Award 2016.
- She has been selcted for her contributions to Malayalam language and literature.
- The award was instituted in memory of well-known short story writer N Mohanan.
- The honour comprises a gold medal of one sovereign.
Rio paralympic games end in Brazil
- The Rio 2016 Paralympic Games 2016 (15th) have ended in Rio with a colourful closing ceremony at Maracana Stadium in Brazilian City, Rio de Janeiro.
- Brazilian officials handed over the flag to Tokyo for the 2020 Olympic and Paralympic Games.
- China dominated the Rio Paralympics games with 239 medals, followed by Britain, Ukraine and the United States.
- India capped off a successful Paralympic Games campaign in Rio by procuring their best ever haul of four medals (two gold, one silver and a bronze medal).
Subhankar Pramanick wins gold at ISSF Junior World Cup
- Indian shooter Subhankar Pramanick has clinched the gold medal in 50-metre rifle prone event at the ISSF Junior World Cup for pistol, rifle and shotgun at Gabala in Azerbaijan.
- He shot 205.5 overall to finish top of the podium.
- Czech Republic’s Filip Nepejchal (205.2) followed in second position, while Romania’s Dragomir Iordache (185.1) was placed third.
- A total of 279 junior athletes, representing 27 countries are battling it out in 18 events.
Davis Cup: Spain beat India 5-0
- Hosts India were routed by Spain 0-5 in the Davis Cup World Group Play-off tie.
- In the last match, Ram kumar Ramanathan (India) lost to David Ferrer in straight sets 6-2, 6-2.
- Earlier, in the first rubber match Marc Lopez defeated Sumit Nagal 6-3, 1-6, 6-3 giving Spain 4-0 lead.
- Earlier, Saketh and Ramkumar had lost their opening Singles matches.
SBI PO Smart Prep Kit by Ramandeep Singh - Get here