Oxford tops world university rankings
Oxford University (UK) topped the list as the world’s leading university in the latest Times Higher Education world rankings index.
- The United States had 63 institutions in the top 200, while the UK had 32 and Australia had 8.
- Asian region’s top institution, National University of Singapore was ranked 24th.
- Indian Institute of Science of Bengaluru has been placed in the rank segment of 201 to 250 while IIT Bombay is in the 301 to 350 segment.
Download exlusive NotesInstall GK Digest Android App here
Niti Aayog chalks up plan to secure 50 medals in 2024 Olympics
- Niti Aayog has devised a short-term and medium-to- long term action plan to help India achieve 50 medals in 2024 summer Olympics.
- According to Niti Aayog, it will polish the talent of Indian sports persons and make them at par with their global counterparts.
Girish Chandra Gupta sworn-in as Calcutta HC chief justice
Justice Girish Chandra Gupta has sworn in as the Chief Justice of Calcutta High Court.
- He replaces Manjula Chellur, who has taken over as Chief Justice of Bombay High Court.
- Earlier, Mr. Gupta was functioning as the acting chief justice of the high court since 22nd August after Chellur’s transfer.
- Justice Gupta was born on December 1, 1954.
Anandi Ramalingam assumes charge as BEL’s marketing director
Anandi Ramalingam has appointed as the Director Marketing of the Public sector Bharat Electronics Ltd (BEL).
- She will be the first woman director of BEL.
- Earlier, she was the General Manager heading the Military Communication Strategic Business Unit (SBU) at BEL’s Bangalore Complex.
- Ramalingam has completed her B.E. in Electronics and Communication engineering (ECE) from the PSG College of Technology, Coimbatore.
Mohan M Shantanagoudar new CJ of Kerala
Justice Mohan M Shantanagoudar has sworn in as new Chief Justice of Kerala High Court at a function held at Raj Bhavan Thiruvananthapuram, Kerala.
- Governor Justice (Retd) P Sathasivam administered the oath of office to Justice Shantanagoudar, who was the acting Chief justice.
Adi Godrej conferred Clinton Global Citizen Award
The Chairman of Godrej Group Adi Godrej has conferred the 10th Annual Clinton Global Citizen Award for leadership in business and philanthropy.
- The award has been presented by Hikmet Ersek (CEO and the President Western Union) in the presence of former US President Bill Clinton in New York.
- Clinton Global Citizen Awards established in 2007, embody the former US President’s call to action by honouring outstanding individuals who exemplify global citizenship through their vision and leadership.
Dhoni named captain of India’s all-time Test XI by Wisden
Captain of the Indian national cricket team in limited-overs formats Mahendra Singh Dhoni has been named the captain of the all-time India Test XI chosen by cricket magazine Wisden.
- The openers in the side are Sunil Gavaskar and Virender Sehwag, followed by Rahul Dravid, Sachin Tendulkar, VVS Laxman, all-rounder Kapil Dev and Dhoni (wicket-keeper batsman).
- The celebrated team has been picked ahead of India’s 500th Test which will be played against New Zealand in Kanpur.
BPCL lifts title of Obaidullah Khan Heritage Cup Hockey Tournament
The Bharat Petroleum Corporation Ltd (BPCL) has lifted the Obaidullah Khan Heritage Cup Hockey Tournament in Bhopal (Madhya Pradesh).
- The BPCL team defeated Railways by 3-0 (penalty shoot -outs).
- Earlier, both the teams scored one goal each till the end of prescribed time.
- The Bharat Petroleum Corporation Ltd. team has received 51 lakh rupees.
US Fed keeps its federal fund rate unchanged
The United States Federal Reserve has kept its key interest rate unchanged amid recent weak economic data and tepid inflation.
- The Fed raised its target range for the federal fund rate by 25 basis points to 0.25-0.5 percent in December last year.
- A slowdown in the global economy since the start of this year and other global financial risks have made Fed policymakers cautious to hold off on any further rate hikes.
Smart Prep Kit by Ramandeep Singh - Get here