President, PM launch VP’s book titled “Citizen and Society”
- President Pranab Mukherjee and PM Narendra Modi has launched Vice President Mohd Hamid Ansari’s book titled “Citizen and Society” at Rashtrapati Bhawan in New Delhi.
- The book is a collection of lectures delivered by Hamid Ansari ranging from the role of women in a multicultural society to other dynamics of a democratic nation.
Download Exclusive Notes on your MobileInstall GK Digest Android App here
Playwright Reoti Saran Sharma passes away
- Eminent Hindi and Urdu writer Reoti Saran Sharma (92-year) passed away in New Delhi.
- He was a Pioneer in radio plays in All India Radio and was conferred with Sangeet Natak Akademi Award for 2007 for his contribution to theatre.
- Sharma was awarded Sahitya Kala Parishad and Ghalib Award.
Childhood cancer awareness exhibition to be held at Taj Mahal
- Childhood cancer awareness exhibition will be held at the iconic Taj Mahal in Agra from 25th -27th September.
- The exhibition ‘CanKids-Kids can‘ is being organised by National Society for Change for Childhood Cancer in India.
- The exhibition will include ‘Chalo Chalein Taj programme‘ under which around 1,500 cancer-affected children and their families will visit the Taj Mahal.
India, France ink deal for 36 Rafale fighter jets
- India and France inked the deal for 36 Rafale fighter jets in the presence of Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar and his French counterpart Jean Yves Le Drian in New Delhi.
- The aircraft will be equipped with latest missiles and weapon system.
- The 7.8 billion Euro deal is crucial for the Indian Air Force and is expected to give India the dominant status in the air.
- The features that make the Rafale a strategic weapon is its Beyond Visual Range (BVR) Meteor air-to-air missile with a range in excess of 150 kilometres.
- The delivery of this aircraft will start in 36 months and will be completed in 66 months from the date the contract is inked.
Navtej Sarna appointed Ambassador to the US
- India’s High Commissioner to United Kingdom (UK) Navtej Sarna (59-year) has been appointed as the next Ambassador to the United States of America (USA).
- Sarna(Indian Foreign Service officer of the 1980 batch) will take charge after Arun Kumar Singh retired at the end of last month.
Misbah-ul-Haq becomes first Pakistani to receive Test mace from ICC
- Test captain of the Pakistan national cricket team Misbah-ul-Haq has received the prestigious ICC Test Championship mace for inspiring Pakistan to the top of the ICC Test Team Rankings.
- This is for the first time a Pakistani cricketer has received the award.
Ritu Rani retires from international hockey
- Former Indian women’s hockey captain Ritu Rani (24-year) has decided to retire from international hockey.
- Ritu was controversially dropped from the team for the Rio Olympics.
- Under her captaincy, the team qualified for the Olympics (after 36 years) in the 2014–15 Women’s FIH Hockey World League Semifinals.
- Ritu got married to a Patiala-based Punjabi singer, Harsh Sharma on August 18.
Smart Prep Kit by Ramandeep Singh - Get here