ISRO successfully launches weather satellite SCATSAT-1
- Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO) has successfully launched its satellite SCATSAT-1 for ocean and weather-related studies from Satish Dhawan Space Centre, Sriharikota.
- The satellite Carrying the 377 kg SCATSAT-1 and seven other satellites.
- This was the first mission of PSLV in which it launched its payloads into two different orbits.
- The expected lifespan of SCATSAT-1 is expected to be five years.
Download IBPS PO NotesInstall GK Digest Android App here
Swiss endorse new surveillance powers
- Swiss voters have given a approval to a law on new surveillance powers for the intelligence agencies.
- The new law will allow the authorities to tap phones, snoop on email and deploy hidden cameras and bugs.
- Some 65.5% of voters agreed to accept the proposal.
- It will allow the Federal Intelligence Service and other agencies to put suspects under electronic surveillance if authorised by a court, the Defence Ministry and the Cabinet.
Golf legend Arnold Palmer passes away
- American professional golfer Arnold Palmer (87-year) has passed away in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania due to heart complications.
- Palmer is regarded as one of the greatest players in professional golf history.
- He received virtually every national award in golf and was the “Athlete of the Decade” for the 1960s in a national Associated Press poll.
Film Certification Appellate Tribunal chairman Mahajan passes away
- Former Delhi High Court judge SK Mahajan has passed away.
- Mahajan was serving as the chairman of Film Certification Appellate Tribunal (FCAT).
Agriculture Minister inaugurates Krishi Unnati Mela in Mathura
- Agriculture Minister Radha Mohan Singh has inaugurated 4- days Pandit Deen Dayal Upadhyay Krishi Unnati Mela – 2016 in Mathura.
- The Agriculture Minister has also laid the foundation stone of first Gokul Gram Project in Mathura.
- He also presents Antyodaya Krishi Puruskars to 22 farmers for their contribution in the agriculture sector at the birth place of Pandit Deendayal Upadhyay in Mathura.
- Azma of Telangana has been awarded for conserving old seeds and setting up community seeds bank.
Govt sets target of toilets in every household by 2019: Tomar
- Minister of Drinking Water and Sanitation Narendra Tomar has set a target of toilets in every household by 2019.
- According to Tomar 23 districts are now totally free from open defecation.
- Toilets have been made in every household in 85,000 villages of the country.
- Swachh Bharat Week is being celebrated from 25th September to 2nd October.
Ajay Singh elected BFI president
- The Chairman and Managing Director (MD) of Spicejet Airlines Ajay Singh (51-year) has elected as the new president of the Boxing Federation of India(BFI).
- Maharashtra’s Jay Kowli was elected the Secretary General.
- Ajay Singh got 49 votes against the 15 that his rival Rohit Jain (Delhi) polled in the election which had observers from the International Boxing Association (AIBA) and the Sports Ministry to monitor the proceedings.
R Ashwin becomes fastest Indian & second overall to take 200 Test wickets
- Indian Off-spinner Ravichandran Ashwin has become the fastest Indian and second overall to take 200 wickets in his 37th Test.
- Ashwin trapped New Zealand skipper Kane Williamson in front to get to the 200th wicket.
- Leg-spinner Clarrie Grimmett (Australia) got to the 200 of wickets faster than Ashwin in 36 Tests.
- He left behind the likes of Dennis Lillee (Australia) and Waqar Younis (Pakistan) who took 38 Tests to get to 200 wickets.
50th State Athletics Championship 2016 starts in Agartala
- 50th State Athletics Championship 2016 started at Dasarath Dev State Sports Complex in Agartala (Tripura).
- Around 450 athletes participated in the opening ceremony.
- The event, sponsored by ONGC, Tripura Asset will conclude on September 28th ,2016.
India wins historic 500th Test by 197 runs against NZ
- India has won the opening Test against New Zealand by 197 runs at Green Park,Kanpur.
- This is India’s 500th cricket Test match.
- Ravindra Jadeja is the Man of the Match.