O.P. Singh takes charge as DG of CISF
Senior IPS officer O P Singh (1983-batch UP cadre) has been appointed as the new Director-General (DG) of Central Industrial Security Force (CISF).
- Earlier, he served in the Special Protection Group (SPG), Central Reserve Police Force (CRPF) and as Additional Director-General (Airport Sector) in CISF.
- He is an alumnus of the National Defence College in the national capital,holds a Masters Degree in Political Science and an MBA in Disaster Management.
Download Exclusive IBPS PO NotesInstall GK Digest Android App here
Dr Vijay Kelkar is new President of Indian Statistical Institute
- He succeeded former Reserve Bank of India (RBI) governor C Rangarajan.
- Indian Statistical Institute (ISI) is an academic institute of national importance as recognised by a 1959 act of the Indian parliament.
World Tourism Day is being observed
- The purpose of this day is to raise awareness on the role of tourism within the international community and to demonstrate how it affects social, cultural, political and economic values worldwide.
- The theme of this year is ‘Tourism for all – promoting universal accessibility’.
RBI approves Rs 26,000 crore CCL for paddy procurement in Punjab
- Paddy procurement in Punjab will commence from 1st October and the state is expecting procurement of 150 lakh tonne of the crop from the state.
- The state government will seek approval of the Centre by sending the RBI’s approval letter for the release of funds for the purchase of paddy.
Google launches instant messaging mobile app Allo
- Allo can be used in online conversations with friends.
- The messaging app is similar features to most other messaging applications available for Android and the iPhone.
Kerala travel mart begins at Kochi
- The three-day event will have representatives from fifty-seven countries, including ten first time participants.
- The event will focus on Responsible Tourism and Muziris Spice Route.
- The venue will also host a series of seminars and discussion forums led by experts from the sector.
Japan to host 2026 Asian Games
- The Japanese bid was the only one put forward to host the continental gathering, which will be staged in Jakarta and Palembang, Indonesia in 2018 and the Chinese city of Hangzhou in 2022.
- Japan will host 2017 Asian Winter Games, 2019 Rugby World Cup and 2020 Summer Olympics.
Sathiyan Gnanasekaran wins Belgium Open
- Gnanasekaran clinched the men’s singles title of the Belgium Open by defeating local player Nuytinck Cedric 4-0 in the final, 15-13, 11-6, 11-2, 17-15.
- Achanta Sharath Kamal is the first Indian to win an ITTF event in 2012.
India wins silver in Asian Beach Games
- Banghel lost to Zhang Yongkang of China in the final of the 71-75kg category.
- India has a contingent of 208 members in the games.
- In the previous edition in Phuket (held in 2014) India had won two gold, a silver and seven bronze medals.
Smart Prep Kit by Ramandeep Singh - Get here